Where to tap 12v for lamp relay switches? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to tap 12v for lamp relay switches?

OK, guys, got the lights all wired up of my 2002 XLT. As per my Pathfinder, I wired the switches power wire to the lighter/DC outlet on the center console.

Unlike the Pathfinder, this outlet stays powered at all times. I assumed that it would not be powered when the ignition was turned off. My mistake.

So what and where is a good wire to tap for 12v that goes off when the ignition is turned off? I prefer this as I'd like to be able to turn on the 194 bulbs in the PIAA 525 lamps as DRLs independently of parking lights and/or headlights.

I'm having some real trouble here and I'd really like to be done with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I figured as much. I tried prying out the center portion in which the radio is mounted, but wasn't able to. I didn't want to break anything — that'd be the next thing the way this project is going...

Anyway, I'll try again.

Damn, seems like there's always something that comes up at the last minute that adds several hours into a project such as this... :confused:

Edit: OK, that didn't work. There is a white/yellow wire going into the radio that has 12v. on it, but it always has 12v. on it. I'm a little mystifed as to how the radio shuts off when the ignition is turned off... I tested all the other wires. Nothing has 12v. only when the ignition is on.

Man, I'd really like to be done with this.... :banghead:

just looked it up w/your model/year and the ingnition it shows that its one of the two wires wht/pnk or blk/pnk. test both of those.
p.s. make sure you have the ignition off (not all the way back) :salute:

is yours a base or premium radio, and is it a late or early production. but yes one should be connect to the back of the radio, it should be either white w/pink or black w/pink

Or, going into the windshield wiper motor is about 4 or so wires. Useing a test light you can determine witch one is switched with the key and tap into that. Or, just use the parking lights wire.
Is there a timed "shut-off" for accessory power (lighter) on the 02"s?

No, unfortunately, there's no timed shut off at all for the lighter. It supplies power at all times. As far as the radio is concerned, I have no idea if it's premium or not.

I gave up. I ended up wiring the switches for the relays to the brown wire on the dimmer. It's a decent compromise: The lamps go off when the factory lights are turned off.

I was just hoping to have the 194 bulbs' relay switch on a separate supply so I could switch them on and off on their own as DRLs.

I do have something that could work: In the airdam of my Pathfinder, I have a pair of "Super Day Light LED 21" lights I had a friend in Japan purchase for me. These are not switched LED marker lights, but instead have a small box the size of a normal relay that has a motion detector that senses a vehicle's vibration. The intention is for these LED DRLs to stay illuminated while the engine is running. I didn't use this in the install on the Pathfinder, but I could use it for the Explorer...

I could wire the box into the battery and then use the 12v. supply from that to power the 194 relay switch. Once the engine stops, the 12v. supply cuts off a minute or two later. I hooked it onto the battery today and tested it.

I could do this, but I just don't feel like doing any more work with this. Maybe sometime in the near future, but then again, why make this any more complicated than it already is? It's good enough as is.

I'll take a photo soon and post it.

OK, here is my Explorer with the PIAA 525s and the Ion Gold 194 city light on.

I know, the truck needs a bath... You'll also notice that I removed the front auto tag mount. I plugged the holes with black nylon ¼" plugs from Lowe's.

Good looking lights and bar! You should be able to see the varmits on the road.
I didnt think about the fuse box till now. There is a product that plugs into the fuse box and provides an easy way to get power. Most auto parts stores have them. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=071-580

Thanks! The bull bar was only about $140.00 or so with shipping. Can't beat Hunter's prices.

I'll have to look for that part. That should work well with the switch for the 194s. Thanks for letting me know about that.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I replaced the PIAA white LED bulbs with the Ion Gold bulbs you can see in the photo. Problem was that the LED bulbs reflected rather blue in the lamp, which could cause problems.

Before mounting the lamps, I tried different bulbs to see what looked good. I even tried a pair of Raybrig green 194 bulbs that looked pretty sharp actually... :D

Here, it seems rather liberal as to the color of turn signals, marker lights, etc. A state police officer told me that any color is legal up front, including blue, as long as it is not flashing on and off. A officer in my town confirmed that for me. I've also found the state laws regarding lighting and they only specify that flashing blue be restricted to emergency vehicles.

That said, I've spoken to a local officer that said that blue anywhere is illegal, another officer said that vehicles can have blue on the sides and someone I know was told by a judge that he couldn't have a blue neon light around his license plate, but that it would be legal up front! :confused:

So yellow bulbs are good enough. I think it looks cool too. Tried the lamps out last night on some back roads. Work really well. I like the PIAA stuff, a bit pricey, but does a good job.

Back