briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Best place to get power?

I have a stock CD/Tape player in my X and got a Auxilary Input converter so that I can also hook up my MiniDisc head unit to it. It lets you hook up devices through RCA inputs. The thing is I still need to power the second headunit. Were would be the best place to tap into power for it? The power on the stock HU harness? If I did that would it provide enough power to both of them without hurting them? Also when I tap into another wire, instead of splicing all three wires together by using a wire nut or soldering them together is there a way to hook them together so that just one or more of the wires could be easily seperated and then put back together? You know the flat post connector things that you slide into the little things on the other end of the wire (sorry for using technical terms here :p) do they make three way versions of those? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tap the 12 volt constant to the batt and the 12v switched to the same switched as the stock HU uses will run fine...i guess why do u need 2 HUs??

I also wanna know why. And the connector I think you're talking about is a bullet connector, or slide terminal (flat).

I wanted to hook up CD and MiniDisc both. I wanted the stock unit installed because I think it looks better than the install kits they have for aftermarket radios. That and with those kits it's almost impossible to mount them to were they won't vibrate and so forth.

So hook it up to the same 12v supplies the stock HU uses? What's the difference between the 12v constant and the 12v switched?

Thanks

u just said it..switched and constant constant does just what u think it does it keeps a constant supply of power to keep the settings..clock ect. switched is like the remote turn on for an amp it tells the HU to turn off or on so u dont drain the battery

i dont think u can run 2 diff inputs to a speaker...it will just cook the one with the least power..been there nuked a TV =)

The remote turn-on/antenae and switched +12 are different... I would just run a lead from your fusebox up under the dash in there for it so you dont have to worry about cutting on your harness. They make little bracelet type things that go around one prong of a fuse... you just stick it back in like normal and crimp the terminal end of the bracelet thing to your wire. Just make sure you hook it up to the radio fuse. Shouldn't cost you more than a dollar.

you could tap into the power leads from the h/u. the wire is big enough that if you add another low current device(like a MD) ikt shouldnt make that much of a difference. of course, the CORRECT way would be to add another fused power lead from the battery to power the MD.

good luck with that, but if that is your goal I would say fabricate your own mounting kit for a cd deck and install that, and then buy a md changer and be happy, because while it may cost a tad more, it will be 1/10 as much work....

mhn3773 said:
i dont think u can run 2 diff inputs to a speaker...it will just cook the one with the least power..been there nuked a TV =)

The auxilary input converter hooks up to the stock HU through the CD changer port, so it works the same as hooking up a CD changer.

absentdreamerr said:
I would just run a lead from your fusebox up under the dash in there for it so you dont have to worry about cutting on your harness. They make little bracelet type things that go around one prong of a fuse... you just stick it back in like normal and crimp the terminal end of the bracelet thing to your wire. Just make sure you hook it up to the radio fuse. Shouldn't cost you more than a dollar.

I'm a novice with electronics so let me make sure I have this straight because I would rather not cut on my harness.

I locate the radio fuse in the fusebox.
Pull out the fuse.
Connect one of these bracelet things to the prong of the fuse.
Put the fuse back in.
I can crimp the bracelet to a wire.
Run and connect the wire to the power on the second HU.

Back