• Register Today It's free!

Where to wire up electric fan?

J. Kennedy

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
For those of you with electric fans, where do you have them wired up to? If you are going to piggyback off another accessory, it has to be something that can handle the amps, and only be on when the ignition is on. I have tried a couple different locations, but have not been happy with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boss Man,

I'm running a 94 Explorer. I ran my power wire to the fuse block for the back up lights. 20 AMP's.

It works grate but I have electrical feed back. If I shut the truck off and the E fan is engaged. My heater blower motor (if AC or heater is on) will continue to run for 3-5 seconds after the ignision is shut off.

The power should come only from the battery.

I agree with aldive. the power should come from the battery, with a relay connected to a switch or tstat to turn the fan on and off as reequired. the fan draws a pretty big load, so you are just askin for trouble connecting to another accessory.

If I run the power directly from the batt, how do I wire it to the ignition? Otherwise, the fan will run all day in a sunny parking lot.

Yes, I say aldive's very good thread on this, but my elec tstat has only 2 terminals, positive and negative. No terminals for fuse box, AC, or manual.

What to do?

You need to use a switch and a relay, the power for the fan runs from the battery to the fan, the turn on lead runs to a relay.
Just like fog lights or any other accessory.

I have mine wired to a switch, and a relay, and also it will turn on with a thermostat control. I ran a designated 30 amp circuit in the existing power distribution box under the hood, makes for a very clean install if you have an open fuse location.

You can get the control kit from O'Reileys for $20. It has the wiring, relay, temp sensor. Its what I used to wire mine up. And yes you need to run the POS direct to the battery.

Back