Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
10 years ago today?

I woke up to a radio talking about a plane hitting the first tower. Took a shower and when I got out I turned the TV on to see the second hit. Then I drove to school and when the professor came into class we had the TV already on the news. He stood at the podium for about 10 sec then just closed his notes and sat down. Watched the news from the class room the next hour then went home and school was canceled after that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..I was in the OC...

...Going thru the usual morning routine I had the news on waiting for the big weather report when the news came across of the plane hitting the tower..

...At that time no one knew the significance and thought it was a great airline mishap as the reports came in..I waited until I saw the first video reports..

..I then drove over to my friends house to drop Harley off with her chihuahua posse...As I got up to their back door their mid twenties son came out and told me a plane had just hit the tower and I told him "yea, that happened about a half hour or so ago".

..That was actually the second plane to hit the towers..Everyone's life had been changed since that moment..:(

reapereviltwin

Keep on wheelin John Rock
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Glen Rock, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
I was in York, Pa installing a new copier at city hall when the first plane hit, on the way back to the shop is when I heard on the radio that the second plane had hit the second tower.

Had a hell of a time explaining to my kids about the attack on our country. They had not really understood how terrorist are. ( I had been thru terrorist threats and attacks (near me but not on me) while overseas)

I still have the Special Issues on People mag on the attack.

SunSearching

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4x4, 96 BMW 328is
On the football field at my high school. Senior year, my entire class was assembled into a big "02" for the yearbook. We were walking up the hill from the stadium to the school and my friend Holly, who had been gung-ho national guard for about a year at that point, said "I think I'm gonna go full army instead of national guard." And I asked "why?!" (I was surprised since she had been SO all about NG). She turned and said "didn't you hear? They blew up the pentagon...". Spent the rest of the day in my classes watching the news. I remember my friend Dee crying as the second tower fell. We were all so scared. Another girl had parents who were supposed to be flying into New York at about the time the first plane hit. She got called out of class 30 minutes later because her parents called to let her know they were ok and their plane had been diverted to Virginia.

I remember it like it was yesterday. :(

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I was walking to the post office in Brooklyn, and saw a huge cloud of smoke coming from Manhattan 9 miles away. The air had a funny smell, and didn't smell like a regular fire (probably because of all the burning human bodies). I went into the post office, and they said that the World trade Center was hit by a plane, and they are closing the post office, so everybody left. The television stations didn't work since their signal came from the antenna of one of the towers. AOL news showed a picture of the burning tower with a brief article. I went around the corner to a pizza store, and one guy was telling everybody that he got his camcorder out, and video taped the second tower being hit. This was before I heard about the second tower on the news. This guy had to walk over the bridge to get into Brooklyn since mass transportation was shut down. News reports kept coming in. A little while later I found a lot of burned legal papers on my front steps, and all over the street which blew in from Manhattan.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
I was on the freeway on the way to work. It was still early in the morning here in LA. I heard them talking on the radio about a plane hitting the WTC. At the time they thought it was a accident, and talked about a plane that hit the Empire state building once, long ago. Then the second plane hit and everything changed. This was not a accident! I remember calling my girlfriend (now my wife) to tell her what was going on. At the time I was building and merchandising temporary seasonal retail stores. The store we we're building that day was in Ventura. I had to convince all of my employees that it was ok to come to work, and they would be fine. I felt it was the best thing for them to get there mind off of everything at the time. It was a very weird day. Everything came to a halt. Know one knew what would happen in the days to come...Would we start WWIII?

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
I had a painting job that I was working on in Palm Springs which is about a half hour away from me.
It was like any other morning as I woke up until I turned on the TV. The first plane had already hit and I called the guy I was working for to see if he heard or saw what was going on.
He said yes and don't bother coming to work today. I spent the rest of the day...and night...like most everyone else glued to the tv.

I was in NYC just 2 months prior and had a chance to see the WTC although it was from a mile or so away. It was amazing how much they dominated the skyline even in a sea of buildings.

:usa:

2TimingTom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I was at work at Cessna Aircraft in Wichita, KS. About a month earlier, a prop Cessna hit a building (in FL I think) so when I heard what happened, I thought "great, not another Cessna!". Then I spent the rest of the day watching news coverage on TV rigged up in a nearby room.

Cessna is attached the airport in Wichita. And while it's not a big or busy airport, the traffic from Cessna and Leer Jet (on the other side of the airport) keep the skies around Wichita fairly busy. When all the air traffic was grounded, I remember how quiet it was around there.

Anyone remember gas prices skyrocketing that day?

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
I was on my way to a customer in Newark NJ when I heard about the first plane. I could see the trail of some off in the distance. When I got to the yard I was working at that day, it was empty. I mean EMPTY. There were trucks and forklifts waiting to be loaded and unloaded, but no body was around.

I drove to the far end of the yard and everyone was down there behind the containers. We had a clear view of both towers on fire. We all watched in horror as the towers disappeared in a cloud of dust.

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
I was working for a humane society as a licensing officer, and was already out in a city doing door to door licensing. The sky is never quiet in Los Angeles, nor are the streets. But suddenly everything got soooooooooooo quiet, no planes, no news choppers, no traffic. I happened to carry a TV setup for my laptop in the van so i gathered my crew up and we found out about the towers. We all went home bad day to hit people up for money.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
I was working at Wolverine Tractor, here in GR. I had just finished writing up a rental on a dozer, when the news hit in my office. We turned on the TV and nobody did anything the rest of the day but watch the news. We had no phone calls or walk in business to the dealership the rest of the day.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I was doing Land Surveying on Dover Air Force base. Our base contact came out and said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center and that the base was going on lock-down and all non-essential personnel had to leave. Me and the guy I was with was thinking that some small plane had hit the building. Once we got back to the hotel and saw the news was when we found out what really happened. It was pretty wild seeing the base go into lock-down mode.

wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
I was working in my buddy's glass shop at the time. We also sold TV's, satellite dishes etc. happened to be upstairs in front and saw the report that an airplane had hit one of the towers, then watched the second one be hit. How things have changed since.