• Register Today It's free!

Where's It Going (Brake Fluid) ?

poophead

Reaction score
City, State
Rushville, Ohio 43150
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
I've a 97 Mounty... Last couple of months or so, my brake fluid level began dropping. Never see any puddles on the ground. Just loses a small amount over a period of time. Bottom of booster is dry, and master cyl has no obvious leaks around it. The recall for the cruise/ master cyl part was done also. (Not recently)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the calipers or possibly the lines are weeping. Whatever the leak is don't let it go much longer. Just a matter of time before one day your pedal hits the bottom of the floor and you rear end someone. Get it checked soon

It might be leaking out the back of the master cylinder into the brake booster.

Always rule out the obvious before you start tearing things apart.

Please define what how much is "leaking" from the system. If what you are seeing is the fluid level dropping 1/4" over time it is very likely normal pad wear or possibly a bad caliper. When was the last complete brake job?

Apoligize for long delay... Christmas, family, work....blah blah blah.

Anyway, The level will drop from the max mark to low in apx a month. I definately notice it drops quicker if I have been trailering a load of firewood, or it seems if the anti-locks are kicked in a bunch (I live on top a hill, and when drive is icy/ snowy...you know when the anti-locks are kicking in!!! :) )

Oh yeah, anyone have a front drive shaft for a 97 awd they want to part with? 2wd SUX in the winter... I am forced to remember how the other half lives... and DO NOT like it.

If the calipers were leaking, I would think I would see it on the wheels? I do not see any. I did a complete brake job, all four the summer before last. I have looked under and around booster, but it is dry. Is it possible the vacuum line is sucking it up?

Steve

its only 2 nuts to pull of the master cyl. it takes 2 minutes to pull it off check and put it back i would suggest that. it could be pumping in there. if you hold your brakes do they sink to the floor?

"Is it possible the vacuum line is sucking it up?"

ABSAFOGGINLUTELY POSSIBLE. As has been mentioned, the only way to check is to pull the master. You can usually leave the brake lines attached and carefully pull it out far enough to look behind. Sonetimes it helps to dip a paper shop cloth down into the booster to make sure it is dry. If it's wet it'll show on the cloth.

Back