wheres my darn RABS valve?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wheres my darn RABS valve?!

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
so I went under my truck to bleed the RABS valve. Couldn't find it when I followed the brake lines. But there is a short section of rubber tubing like right above where the fuel filter resides connecting 2 offset hardlines. Did someone perform an RABS-ectomy on my vehicle? If its somewhere else, I'd need to find it to bleed it since I replaced my master cylinder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jgilbs said:
so I went under my truck to bleed the RABS valve. Couldn't find it when I followed the brake lines. But there is a short section of rubber tubing like right above where the fuel filter resides connecting 2 offset hardlines. Did someone perform an RABS-ectomy on my vehicle? If its somewhere else, I'd need to find it to bleed it since I replaced my master cylinder.

Nope that is the RABS. It is what the hard lines are coming out of. Its right above the fuel filter.

but its not there - just a short piece of rubber tubing where it SHOULD be.

found it - it was a little higher on the frame rail that I expected. How do you bleed the darn thing? there is a rubber plug, but its on the BOTTOM of the unit. I dont see any bleeder valves towards the top

I couldn't figure that one out either and so I just removed it all together and replaced all the hard lines from Master cylinder to the rear axle.

OK, like I mentioned before, I have 2 offset hardlines joined by a rubber tube 1/2 way back on the frame rail. Is this stock? Or is it from the previous owner making a cheap fix before he sold the truck? I have always had a soft pedal, even after getting a "complete" brake job. I think this may be the culprit. I am going to rent a tubing flarer and a bender from autozone. How easy is it to join these sections with a compression fitting? The last thing I want is to leave this hose in here - I cant imagine this is safe(i dont even know if its a brake hose - it could be a fuel hose connecting 2 brake linesf or all i know!! scary...)

Back