Where's my low end power?

DocVijay

Meow
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
OK maybe it's not a problem, and that's just how it is, but here goes: I've done all the mods as you can see from the list below to my 99 4.0L OHV. The problem is that when I accelarate from a standsill, the engine just doesn't pull like I think it should. It feels as though it's really struggling. As the revs build up (very slowly, it seems), at about 3000-3500 rpms, there is a sudden dip in the sound from the intake, as though it's choking, and the power drops off. Then when it hit's 4000 rpms, it just takes really quickly and it has plenty of power. Is this where the power is with the engine? I figured that the mods would help low end torque at least a little, but it feels slower. Any hints as to what I can do, or is it just the way it's going to be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest taking out the JET chip. In my experience, JET chips usually do more harm than good. Are you using 92+ octane with the chip? If not, then that's probably adding to your problem.

You also don't have catback exhaust listed. A good catback setup will help your power a bit. That slight dip in intake sound is probably your throttle body (too large if you don't have exhaust) starving for air. Once you get a catback system, your opened up intake will work a lot better.

Definately get rid of the JET chip and get a hypertech or superchip.

I'll try it tomorrow.

OK. I'll remove the chip tomorrow and reset the computer. I'll see how that works. Thanks.

Get a superchip. It really improved my throttle response and acceleration from standstill. It improved the shift points also.

--mark

OK, which chip...

I know that this has been discussed to death, but...

OK, so I've been told about the greatness of three chips now, the Hypertech, the Superchip, and the DiabloChip. Which is the one for me to get. I'll probably be putting on a cat back system sometime soon. (If my schedule allows, and also how fast my local shop can make a custom for me).

How dissapointing.

Well, I took off the JET chip this morning before class, and I noticed right away that the engine seemes to rev easier and run smoother. The hesitation at low rpms is almost gone. The only down side from removing the chip so far is that the shifting is a bit more relaxed, and it takes longer for it to downshift. That's a real bummer. I paid good money for this thing and it didn't really do much for me, at least that's what my backside dyno tells me. Anyone want a somewhat used JET chip?

Another Explorer falls victim to JET....

Sorry man, seen it before with many Rangers and Explorers and other vehicles. JET just sucks, plain and simple.

Doc, could you please post some pics of your truck? I'm just curious to see your rims. Thanks!

Try this link.

Dead Link Removed

It's my (weak) homepage. I have great things planned for it. At least as soon as I get around to figuring out the intricacies of Flash and Dreamweaver...

Back