• Register Today It's free!

Where's the Power At?

Quicksilver

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal the OC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
OK, so I've had my 2014 Explorer Sport EcoBoost for a couple hours now and I love the look, the feel, and the presence of my new rig:biggthump I had researched what new kidmover/DD I wanted, compared it to the similar 3rd row seating options by Chevy, Dodge, and Jeep and hands down the Explorer Sport Ecoboost was the winner in almost every catagory that I compared the others to. Love it so far buuuutttt... I'm a motor guy, I need the power, I need the speed! After my first drive, I'm underwhelmed with what the right pedal is giving me. I'm gonna need more, I've heard a good flowing exhaust is a great place(as with ANY turbo motored vehicle:D) to start and that intake looks convoluted and restricitve so it's on the list. My question is, who is doing the reflashes? Anyone have any feedback on a 'tuner' company for the EcoBoost motor? Heck, I'm not even sure what the factory boost level is(maybe I didn't research enough;)) but I need MORE:burnout:

Thanks in advance for feedback to the NooB questions:D

AJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first place I went was with a tune. The tune is by far the best $/hp upgrade. I have the livernois "high boost" tune and it is night and day better than stock. I would never consider going back to stock.

The tune also removes/reduces the torque management in the ECU and greatly improves the shift schedule. These are things that make a huge difference in the vehicle that you can't get with exhaust or intake. If my tune didn't add boost or timing I would still go with it just for this.

OK, so I've had my 2014 Explorer Sport EcoBoost for a couple hours now and I love the look, the feel, and the presence of my new rig:biggthump I had researched what new kidmover/DD I wanted, compared it to the similar 3rd row seating options by Chevy, Dodge, and Jeep and hands down the Explorer Sport Ecoboost was the winner in almost every catagory that I compared the others to. Love it so far buuuutttt... I'm a motor guy, I need the power, I need the speed! After my first drive, I'm underwhelmed with what the right pedal is giving me. I'm gonna need more, I've heard a good flowing exhaust is a great place(as with ANY turbo motored vehicle:D) to start and that intake looks convoluted and restricitve so it's on the list. My question is, who is doing the reflashes? Anyone have any feedback on a 'tuner' company for the EcoBoost motor? Heck, I'm not even sure what the factory boost level is(maybe I didn't research enough;)) but I need MORE:burnout:

Thanks in advance for feedback to the NooB questions:D

AJ
This Forum has several threads on 'tunes' and exhausts and CAI systems. Just scroll thought the threads and you'll find them and probably the info you seek.

Peter

your first clue should of been Ford's Ecoboost...............Eco stands for ecology and economic while boost stands for a boost in both ecology and economics.

if it would of been called TwinTurbo or TTBoost then you would have a better bases complaining about the anemic power of this engine.

the exhaust sound is also IMO the same as Subaru Outback.

This Forum has several threads on 'tunes' and exhausts and CAI systems. Just scroll thought the threads and you'll find them and probably the info you seek.

Peter

Yes,I tried the search and came up with only a couple older threads that didn't address what I sought. Of course if you had more success with that feature and are taking the time to reply, links would be awesome right:D? Thanks

AJ

The first place I went was with a tune. The tune is by far the best $/hp upgrade. I have the livernois "high boost" tune and it is night and day better than stock. I would never consider going back to stock.

The tune also removes/reduces the torque management in the ECU and greatly improves the shift schedule. These are things that make a huge difference in the vehicle that you can't get with exhaust or intake. If my tune didn't add boost or timing I would still go with it just for this.

Thanks for the reply and the lead, I spent some time on thier site now and will be placing an order:thumbsup:. Did you use any of thier exhaust componants? I really like the downpipes and the pricepoint is good but the rear corsa system is pretty spendy:eek:

AJ

your first clue should of been Ford's Ecoboost...............Eco stands for ecology and economic while boost stands for a boost in both ecology and economics.

if it would of been called TwinTurbo or TTBoost then you would have a better bases complaining about the anemic power of this engine.

the exhaust sound is also IMO the same as Subaru Outback.

Ouch Sixty, you seem displeased with your choice of vehicals, I'm coming from a 650ftlbs+ V10 twin turbo Volkswagon so I miss the torque but that thing really did sound ugly:shifty_ey The Ecoboost is a symphony by comparison;) I think with a tune and some parts I will be satisfied with the Sport's performance. If I really feel the need for speed, I'l drive something else:D

AJ

Ouch Sixty, you seem displeased with your choice of vehicals, I'm coming from a 650ftlbs+ V10 twin turbo Volkswagon so I miss the torque but that thing really did sound ugly:shifty_ey The Ecoboost is a symphony by comparison;) I think with a tune and some parts I will be satisfied with the Sport's performance. If I really feel the need for speed, I'l drive something else:D

AJ

not displeased, just realized upfront that ford explorer sport was never anything but a gas guzzling people mover......despite all the false perceptions from ford (gm is the same with their models ). when I need a speed fix and F1 exhaust music the 991 C2S cab does it without the wife, girlfriend or dog;)

Thanks for the reply and the lead, I spent some time on thier site now and will be placing an order:thumbsup:. Did you use any of thier exhaust componants? I really like the downpipes and the pricepoint is good but the rear corsa system is pretty spendy:eek:

AJ

Nope, I have no plans for exhaust at the moment. That could change if they ever post some decent dyno graphs of the gains. Right now i can't justify the cost.

I did add a 170* thermostat which was super easy.

I'm pretty happy with my Flex so far, just need to finish dialing it in :)

Can the dealers tell when a tune was done even after reverting back to stock?

explorer-dyno2.jpg

Thanks Peter, I appreciate not having to go through 25+ pages of threads.

Ok, so I've learned a couple things about the Ecoboost in my whole week of ownership;) And since Im impatient and I've already ordered all the speed parts currently available from Livernois. Looks like the downpipe/exhaust is not available for a yet unspecified amount of time so I'm gonna make my own 2.5" dual system from the cats back. Let the cutting and TIG welding begin:D

EDIT: No way for NooB's to attach pics?:( I need a minimum amount of posts or a membership status?

Found it:) It was a small matter of a $20. membership;)

Attachments

• Quicksilver Downpipe and Intake Parts.jpg
    Quicksilver Downpipe and Intake Parts.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 559

Yes they can. They don`t know what kind of tune it was, but the computer will tell them that "something" was changed.

So did you get some exhaust on it? I have one in the same color.:thumbsup:
I did a third cat delete and got rid of the extra large muffler they used as an h-pipe.
Did a x-pipe and some magnaflows out back. Can't say how much it helped quarter mile but it felt a little stronger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer can't specifically see that it was tuned but in the case of a warranty claim where something like a burned piston or broken parts is suspected then the PCM will be looked into a little closer by Ford. If the PCM was sent back to Ford they can easily tell if it was tuned or not.

Back