Which brand for external transmission filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which brand for external transmission filter?

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Hello,

I am convinced after reading a few threads that I need to install an external transmission filter on my explorer.

However, since I am new to transmission filters, I have a few questions.

It appears that transmission external filter mounts use just regular engine oil filters, is this true? Or are there "special" filters made just for transmission fluid.

Also, can some one please tell me where are some good places online to purchase a quality external transmission filter kit?

Are there any brands I should avoid? Any brands that make exceptional external transmission filter kits?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run a motorcraft FL1A filter for my external trans filter. I've also run a mobil 1 m1-301 (I'm pretty sure thats the right filter number). They are just regular oil filters...

~Mark

I have an actual transmission filter that fits inline. I have it installed coming out of the external cooler. I'm trying to remember who makes it, but it's a name brand and NAPA carries it too. But I would think that something like an FL-1A would be a better filter. I have nothing to base that on, but it seems to make sense to me. I installed mine after a complete overhaul. Once I have some miles on it so anything left over would have been filtered, I think I'll remove it. It's just something not needed in the system any longer. I wouldn't worry about it with the FL-1A and it's bypass.

I installed the Perma-Cool external filter kit. I got the one with the temp gauge. You may want to consider the one with the temp gauge as well. I have been very happy with this set-up, it seems well built. Another plus is the kit with the temp gauge comes with absolutely everthing that you need to install it. Hose clamps, electrical connecters, etc. No running to the store to get the little part that most kits wouldn't bother to include. Summit Racing sells the Perma-Cool kit that I am talking about. They have it with and without the temp gauge.

Pick up the mount kit at Jegs or the like.

I use an Amsoil Eao filter on mine. I recommend using a high end filter.

Good luck ...

Some non spin on filters (with hoses & clamps) have internal magnets to help trap fine particles which could clog the valve body. The spin on filters are easier to replace. You could always place a magnet on the side of an ordinary filter. Don't use the spin on adapter which is used on hydraulic machinery even though it's cheaper. Some models have a temperature controlled valve which will interfere with the normal operation of your transmission.

I open and throughly inspect the innards of every external tranny filter that I have used.

I have never found any particulate matter trapped in the filter.

Motorcraft

Motorcraft also has an inline filter with a magnet, I got one when I was trying to replace my transmission filter and solenoids. Thought that the most expensive would be the best, but it wasn't the right one. But I'm probably going to end up putting it in there anyways.

Since transmission filters use just regular oil filters, I guess the best protection would be one of these bypass systems? ;)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

Oh I know, its over kill.

Thanks for all the great info. I read on other threads on how great installing an external filter was, but I couldn't find any recommending any type of brands or the type of filter they use.

Thanks. I am a lot more informed now.

I think I will use an Amsoil oil filter now with some other mount.

I purchased one of the remote oil filter mounts from Summit; the Summit brand.
Uses a standard PH1A I think.

This is how I installed mine:

P1000104a.jpg

P1000103a.jpg

For some reason I always thought filters had to be mounted vertically, but I guess not.

Only reasoning I have is every filter I've seen between my moms van, my explorer, and my friends blazer are all vertical.

Learn something new everyday

Verticle is just less messy...

Here is ours.. I think this is the old bracket.. The new one has 90's out of the top of the mount.

There is no inner fenderwell on our X so if someone really wanted to be an arse they could unscrew it.. At first I was worried about rock etc hitting the filter but after close to 100k miles I've had 0 problems with the filter there.

~Mark

Attachments

• s-from-side.jpg
    s-from-side.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 859
  • s-from-rear.jpg
    s-from-rear.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 861
  • s-closeup-over-tire.jpg
    s-closeup-over-tire.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 852

Perhaps a magnet that clamps onto the filter would be the most ideal too right?

http://www.filtermag.com/?app=Automobile/Light+Truck&year=2002&makes=FORD&=Model

Has anyone placed a magnet on their external transmission filter?

I actually did spend the money on 2 of those filtermags.
one on my oil filter one on my aux tranny filter.
has it done any good? I don't know; haven't taken one apart yet. Will it hurt? Certainly not.

Was it worth the money? Couldn't tell ya.

Thanks everyone your info has been very helpful.

I did not realize that most external transmission filters use just regular oil engine filters. Thought there was some special filter just for transmission fluid.

I would think that mounting the filter vertically would be much better because after the engine is shut off, the fluid remains inside of the filter. Otherwise if the filter was horizontal most fluid will probably drain back out into the transmission and this would just increase the time the transmission runs without full pressure, taking longer for the transmission to fill the filter back up on cold starts.

Thanks for the great info.

I would think that mounting the filter vertically would be much better because after the engine is shut off, the fluid remains inside of the filter. Otherwise if the filter was horizontal most fluid will probably drain back out into the transmission and this would just increase the time the transmission runs without full pressure, taking longer for the transmission to fill the filter back up on cold starts.

Thanks for the great info.

pretty much all good oil filters now-a-days have anti-drain-back valves, to prevent this very issue.

regardless of this, I have noticed absolutely no issues what-so-ever with my setup. Even when it gets to -20*F in the winters. Now that is a cold start :D

Back