Which class 3 hitch and can I tow with my 04 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which class 3 hitch and can I tow with my 04 Explorer?

Yes, you'll be within the towing limits. Your maximum towing cap. is 3240 if you're 4x2 and 3380 if you're 4x4. Legally, you'll also need some kind of trailer brakes, either surge-type or those controlled by a brake controller in the truck.

Keep in mind, though, that you have a GCWR of 7700(4x2)/8000(4x4), so with a 3000 pound trailer, you only have a few hundred pounds worth of cargo in the truck itself before you hit the GCWR. I would recommend getting your truck weighed with the trailer attached to see how close you are to hitting the GCWR before loading up for a trip.

Yes, you'll be within the towing limits. Your maximum towing cap. is 3240 if you're 4x2 and 3380 if you're 4x4. Legally, you'll also need some kind of trailer brakes, either surge-type or those controlled by a brake controller in the truck.

Keep in mind, though, that you have a GCWR of 7700(4x2)/8000(4x4), so with a 3000 pound trailer, you only have a few hundred pounds worth of cargo in the truck itself before you hit the GCWR. I would recommend getting your truck weighed with the trailer attached to see how close you are to hitting the GCWR before loading up for a trip.

Not to argue, you are way off. Assuming this member is using a 4x4 like mine, they have approximately a 10,000 GCVW. You can check out these . I have a GVWR of 5880, a Curb of 4469, that is a payload of 1411 pounds. I also have a max tow of 5380. When in doubt, read your owners manual.

Not to argue, you are way off. Assuming this member is using a 4x4 like mine, they have approximately a 10,000 GCVW. You can check out these . I have a GVWR of 5880, a Curb of 4469, that is a payload of 1411 pounds. I also have a max tow of 5380. When in doubt, read your owners manual.

You have the class III/IV towing package stock. The above poster does not -- he has a Class II stock, so unless he adds the additional transmission cooler that comes with the towing package, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to tow like he has the towing package even though he has the higher-rated hitch (our trannies are relatively fragile already, don't need to push it). Not to mention that we have 3.73 gears with the towing package, which he does not.

The numbers I posted were for a vehicle with the Class II towing package, which is how his truck is equiped. It's not just a matter of slapping on a bigger hitch and towing like his truck came ready for more payload from the factory.. I'd hate to see something happen to another member or his vehicle from trying to tow more then his truck can handle.

EDIT: the numbers posted above came from the owner's manual. ;)

Back