Which engines fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which engines fit?

ggoble

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4X4 V6
What engines will fit in a 98 Explorer XLT 4x4?
At present is a 4.0 SOHC.
I hear later 4.0 SOHC engines can be installed. Starting in 2002 Ford improved the timing chain setup.
How late a model engine can be installed without disturbing the electronics?

Any help appreciated.

ggoble

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bare 4.0L SOHC long blocks (block and heads) 1997-2010 are all the same, though the 4x4 engines had a balance shaft. There never was an improved version of the timing chain set up. You can live w/out the balance shaft and Mustang engines also work.

You would need to transfer over all the peripheral electronics and parts from your old engine.

Thanks for replying.
I read somewhere, Ford made improvements to the timing system starting in 2002.
Also, there was no need to change any of the electronics until 2010.
True or not, I have no idea.

The last engine I rebuilt was a 390 in a 72 F250 in 1994.
Also working on a 85 F250 Super Duty 4x4 with a 460.
What a world of difference.

I am not aware that Ford ever made any meaningful improvements to the timing chain cassettes, guides or tensioners. The 4.0L SOHC timing setup is just a pour design. If I were doing a 4.0L SOHC engine swap (which is something I may need to consider in the future for my '01, Job 2 ST, which rattles at startup) I would not install a used engine w/out replacing all of the timing chain components on the replacement engine, not because the quality of the new parts would be any better, but because I believe this would prevent me from possibly having the same TC problems repeated on the replacement engine in the near future. Some SOHC engines have had TC problems with as little as 75K or less. With these engines it is not a matter of if you will have TC problems, but when. Why some SOHC engines fail prematurely and some may get 200K w/out problems is a mystery to me. Lack of maintenance and use of expensive/exotic oil with 3,000 mile oil changes doesn't explain whether plastic parts break or not. Perhaps the way the vehicles are driven has more to do with it... ?

The electronics between engine years may be compatible, but I've read where some of the electrical connectors may be different. You'd have to compare and see I guess. To avoid possible issues with connectors and perhaps sensors, I think it would be safer to reuse your old parts, or use new parts specifically for your original engine. Ford can and does make changes to stuff w/in a single model year. When you're looking at a 5-10+ yr spread, who knows? A good way to check beforehand would be to check RockAuto's on-line catalog for part numbers between years. Even minor things, like the length or how a throttle cable connects, can cause you headaches on a swap. If you purchase a re-manufactured engine it will not come with all the peripheral parts. There's a reason for this.

Well, we only got the engine running 3 days ago after an overhaul: new rings, bearings, wrist pens, timing chain, etc.
Bought cheap head gaskets... now have a steam engine.

Did you replace head bolts? Some are one time use.

Yes. Drove to store, 2 miles. Heard noise like twig breaking. When returned home, turned off engine and a large white cloud came from under the hood. Removed upper and lower manifold today. Gully between heads full of water. Not good.

Could be thermostat housing leaking, if no white smoke from exhaust.

Back