Which Explorer tows the best? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Explorer tows the best?

I would like to buy a used Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator in the near future with a few things in mind:
1. Daily driver for the wife and kids, 3rd row seating
2. AWD
3. I want to be able to tow!

I think what I need to tow may max out any Explorer. I'd need to be able to tow a carhauler tandem axle trailer with my Bronco II on it. I'd estimate close to 6k lbs. Trailer has brakes. I also load this trailer with 4 quads (big ones), estimate of 4.5k lbs. And in the winter 3 snowmobiles occupy the trailer, 4.5k lbs.

I'm leaning towards a 2002-2005 4.6L AWD with tow package. Is this the Explorer to get that can tow the best out of the box?

I'd be willing to modify if necessary to accommodate a higher towing capacity.

2202115_224_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 97 and i was able to cable tow an 86 k5 blazer and all i have is a tow ball on the back (but i wouldnt reccommend that for what u need it for)... my bfs mom however has an 04 i think with the tow pkg and she tows thier boat which im sure is more than 6k lbs....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 08 has the 4.6 and is rated at 7100 or so. The receiver is welded in, probably part of their recent frame strenghening. I would go with the 4x4 instead of AWD because of the low range. Mine tows like a tank in low range, very solid and strong.

I agree that you should check out the Expeditions. You could probably get away with an explorer, but why would you? Drive one of the newer Expeditions. They turn better than a gen 2 explorer. They ride great, they're comfortable, and they have great visibility with big mirrors. My mom bought one and a 26' travel travel (fiberglass) and it tows great with a w/d hitch and prodigy controller. The only other upgrade was LT load E tires. The expedition pulled the trailer at 55mph up long steep mountain passes with 3 of us, trailer all loaded up with full water and everything. She had never pulled a trailer in her life but gets around just fine with it in the expedition, and the thing is easy for her to park.
You're wife will like it once she drives it, I bet. Just make sure you get one with the factory tow package since it's geared lower too.

i have a 97 and i was able to cable tow an 86 k5 blazer and all i have is a tow ball on the back (but i wouldnt reccommend that for what u need it for)... my bfs mom however has an 04 i think with the tow pkg and she tows thier boat which im sure is more than 6k lbs....

i forgot to mension tht both of the sbove mensioned xs are the 4.0 6cyl

I had a 98 Explorer XLT AWD with the 5.0 and now have a 06 Explorer Ltd 4.6 4x4. Both had the factory tow package and both have pulled my boat just fine. I weighed the boat last year thinking it was 6K-6.5K but it is 8K on the trailer. I have pulled it with both up and down boat ramps and across state lines to WI and back and forth to MI (from IL). The 4x4 on the later models is great because even though I don't need the low gear it is a nice feature. The engine will barely go beyond idle to pull up even the steepest ramps here. All those turbo diesels duallies, and big block 1 tons quad cabs look at disbelief with their smaller boats in tow when I pull up, I have done it with my family of 5 loaded up in the truck with the a/c when its over 90F even doing one day with the temp gauge registering 100F! The 5.0 had a little more low end grunt (coupled with the 3.73 gear) but the newer 6 speed trans is a lot more smoother and keeps the engine in its torque band while the older one would seem weaker as it went up the gears. I do have the 3rd row option (power) and its great for hauling kids when up and carrying things with it down. Now I have since gotten a 00 Excursion 4X4 with the 6.8 V-10 for a travel trailer and although it pulls that 9K (loaded) trailer good the Explorer really is a mule in its own rite.

towing with 2006 limited 4.6L

Hi all. First post here.
I have a 2006 Explorer Limited, so 4.6l, awd, tow rating of 7120 lbs. I tow in the Rocky Mountains, and wouldn't tow a tt that weighed much more then 4500 lbs due to the elevation I'm at already, as this plays a huge part. On a side note, I've installed a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, and K&N Cold Air Intake, haven't towed with them yet, but have noticed about 2mpg fuel savings, if I'm not leaning on the pedal. I'll see how it tows this summer, and rate both towing ease, and any fuel savings.
Talk to you again in late summer !

Back