• Register Today It's free!

Which fuse do I need??

kubben

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1974 XLL
My speedo, gas gauge, temp gauge, pretty much all gauges are all out. They will not light up.

The air bag, Check Engine, etc. however work.

Which fuse do I need to replace to get these working again? I checked all my fuses and they seem to look fine but who knows.

This is a 96 4x4 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check 11 and 25. Do you mean the gauges don't work or the cluster isn't illuminated?

The cluster isn't illuminated ...

Could it be something else like the lights burnt out or is the probably the fuse ..

I will recheck the fuses you listed.

Just checked those fuses and they are good.

thanks for the clarification. Well, I wouldn't think that all 6 lights went at once but maybe your eyes were better before than now ...:) anyways, the dash lights get their power thru the dimmer module.... it could be your problem.

It's not all the dash lights though just the speedo, gas, battery, tach, and oil.

Check engine, security, check gauge, turn signals all those lights work.

That sound like the dimmer module?

Is replacing the dimmer module much work? How much does one run?

Hold it.... there is a difference between "illumination" and warning lights/indicators / gauges. I am talking "illumination" which is controlled by the dimmer module. The other lights / indicators / gauges have nothing to do with illumination and are controlled appropriately by the signal needed to light them.

I cannot toogle the illumination using the switch that turns on the interior lights.

The gauges I listed will not light up at all. They are completely dark no matter how I toogle that switch. The Check gauge, check engine, etc. are all lite up however no light what so ever is being displayed through the gauges.

Anyone?

Is there a write up on replacing the dimmer module?

Back