• Register Today It's free!

Which gen 4x4 4-door to buy??

MatteoLC

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 4wd
I just sold my 1999 XLT with the SOHC, as reading the forums led me to believe I was driving a ticking (rattling) time bomb with the timing chain.
Sold to a mechanic friend, who can do his own work.

I want another Explorer, but can't decide what...

I loved the 4x4 of the 1999 I had, and was thinking of an XLS -
which I believe comes with the hopefully more durable OHV engine.

I'd like a 2002-2003, but those only came with the same SOHC engine,
and I'm assuming the same timing chain issues?

Manual trans is preferred, but that's a needle in a haystack...

Just looking for thoughts - as I want to get back on here!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my bias is towards the clunky old first gens.

but it sounds like you have a pretty clear idea what your looking for anyway dont you?

Look for the 1gen,the reason being easier to find lifts,parts etc... I have a 96 its been a good truck it has 200K+, but sucks bc lifts r expensive to do it right,not many options though.

Pretty partial to the Gen 1, also. They're pretty easy to work on and there are enough of them in the pnp's that if you mess up that bad there's always extra parts close by.

I have a manual trans with an auto t-case and warn manual hubs, and the OHV of course. Super durable and pretty comfortable (although not the quickest) on long trips. They're definitely still relevant! :)

Hopefully i'll be in the market for a 4x4 soon... Right now I'm driving a Ford Tempo around and it is not fun. Working towards a better job though so hopefully I'll be able to get a better everyday vehicle and something for play real soon.

Back