• Register Today It's free!

Which Grille Color Is Correct?

blownbanana

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
I have a 2000 4dr 2wd Eddie Bauer that needs a new grille surround. The grille and surround are one piece, with the surround being chrome plated. On eBay, these come with silver, grey and black grilles. Does anyone know the CORRECT color for my 2000 EB?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you answered your own questions. The correct colour is "chrome". I've got a '99 EB and it's identical to yours.

Am I missing something?

Those eBay sellers often sell aftermarket pieces. Maybe contact the seller and confirm you're getting chrome.

Thanks, but, yes, you are missing something.

Look at the Ford emblem in the middle of your grille...what color is the paint on that grill bar?

The question is... on the 2000 Eddie Bauer, what color is the grille (not the grille surround, which is chrome)?

Look at the Ford emblem in the middle of your grille...what color is the paint on that grill bar?

The question is... on the 2000 Eddie Bauer, what color is the grille (not the grille surround, which is chrome)?

When you said "grille surround", I thought you meant something else.

1998-2001 is a dark grey/black colour.

1995-1997 is sort of a light grey/silver colour.

However, the grille shells between 95-97 and 98-01 are slightly different owing to the differences in the hood release mechanisms. I speak from experience. My '99 grille had a crack in it recently. A local boneyard had a '00 shell, but the chrome was slightly bubbled so I ended up with a '96 which was in better shape. I trimmed some of the plastic that sits on top of the grille to make it work (you know the place where you keep loose bolts and what not when you're working underhood). I ended up painting the silver anyhow to match some other work I did to my grille (I have Street Scenes Speed Grille inserts, powdercoated smoked chrome colour).

Be wary of aftermarket grilles. I've read many horror stories about poor quality renditions of OEM grilles. That's why I went 2nd hand through a junkyard. Looks great for a 13 year old grille. No complaints.

If money is no object, fastpartsnetwork has OEM grilles for less than you'd pay at the stealership. You give Torrie (website owner and EF site sponsor) your year and VIN and he makes sure you get the right one for your year/model.

Also- beware... I tried to order one of the "silver" grilles vs. the black grille (the center section) off eBay for $79 or something, and they sent a black centered one (I think the body shop replacement fare), they said that they didn't have the silver-centered ones anymore, and only had black. The light silver center matches the plastic trim a little better on the '95-'97 whereas the darker gray of the later grille matches the darker trim on the later Gen II's. But, I think it looks ok on mine. Here's a few pics:

the original '95 Grille (silver):

Mar08_0022.jpg

the '00 Grille (dark gray):

IMG_2531.jpg

Thanks to Celly and Joe Dirt for all the info

As for aftermarket vs. OEM, I bought aftermarket since it was about $300 cheaper. My 2000 was also all bubbled up, perhaps the 2000 chrome was just a bad batch? I went with the silver grille because I thought it would look better. The vendor lists it as fitting a 2000. If I decide I don't like it, it's easy enough to repaint it. I have not yet tried to install it, so I can't tell you about the fit. In fact, any installation advice would be appreciated. Do I install all 3 pieces as a unit or separately. Do I have to remove the lights or anything?

Joe, you have a couple of really nice looking Explorers!

Only have one- that's the same Ex... Thanks! :D

You would need to put the chrome end surrounds on the center section before installing it to your truck. It installs as one piece... You'll have to remove your corner lights, (2 screws on top under the black trim under the hood) them pull them forward- they'll pop loose, they're held in by tension aside from teh 2 screws up top.

All of the screws for the grille are on top of the grille, you'll see them. There are screws on the end sections into the fenders for the end sections, and then 2 retainer tension clips on the bottom of the grille. You can bend your grille forward and push the tops down to relieve tension and pull the front of the grille forward to get them out. If they come off, just push them through the body, they'll fall ou thet other side. Be careful, you'll probably need them for your new grille. Their locations are circled in red as seen below:

Yes, that is why my Ex is that clean. I'm sick, I need help... :D

IMG_2460bb.jpg

As for aftermarket vs. OEM, I bought aftermarket since it was about $300 cheaper.

I paid $75 for my '96 and it can best be described as B+/A- grade, Once I got it installed it looked great. Mine ended up like Joe's "before" picture before I painted it. I really didn't care for the lighter colour in the grille with my setup.

LOL :p:

Hey man- I actually have enough parts to build another one, but I'm considering a Lincoln LS... :D

How about a Taurus? Wait, an old Mustang. No, a V8 Exploder. OK, LS. Yeah, that's my fave. Rully. :monkey:

Back