• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

which is a better mic-600 ohms or 1000

351wExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
i have an old cobra mic that is 600ohms and a brand new midland 1000 ohms mic... which is better, the higher or lower?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

kd5iku

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger 4cyl
This is not an absolute answer for this question. Generally speaking, a radio is designed to work at a specific impedence for the microphone. The higher the impedance, the more attenuation on your voice. The best method is to try them both and see. Park near a truck stop and ask for some radio checks.

KD5IKU

351wExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
thanks, im going on a road trip on the 11th so illhave plenty of time to talk to truckers

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
actually, the biggest thing to consider is that you'll do better with a matched radio and microphone.

if your radio is designed for 600 ohms, the best mic to use is a 600 ohm mic. that's not to say that a 1000 ohm mic won't work. the mismatch might cause some issues, but in this case, try it and see what kind of results you get.

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Mic impedence (Ohms)

The difference in the impedence of the 2 mics (600 vs 1000 Ohms) is pretty negligible. I doubt you'll see or hear much difference. Just be sure the pin-out for the connectors is the same, i.e., PTT, Mic audio, Ground, etc, all come out on the right pins in the connector, you will be OK. Now, if the replacement Mic was 10,OOO Ohms or something, then you would likely experience reduced audio modulation.

351wExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
thanks everybody... i guess i will just try them out and see which i like more