• Register Today It's free!

Which is better?

Olds67

Reaction score
City, State
Munich
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 highclassSOHC V6
I have two filters here. Which one is better?
Greetings and happy new year!

E978574F-48CA-4B06-9D3F-8738E9D840AF.jpeg 69FEDAC4-1B7F-4B45-BDA9-7D5124F90342.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everyone will have there own decision as to what oil is better, what filters are better, etc. As for parts such as oil filters, brake pads etc, I use oem. So in this case the fl-1-a is the winner. Some aftermarket parts and filters use different media or glues inside that are cheaper and break down and fall apart. On a side note, wix is a notable brand

Wix makes good stuff.

I run Motorcraft filters on my Fords. Good price, and I know it meets OEM specs. I researched them a while back and I remember the micron filtering being pretty good, especially for the price.

Never had one fail.

Wix makes good stuff.

I run Motorcraft filters on my Fords. Good price, and I know it meets OEM specs. I researched them a while back and I remember the micron filtering being pretty good, especially for the price.

Never had one fail.
Wix personal preference don't use Fram !

I saw the inside of a Fram years ago. Trash.

WIX are my go to brand.

FWIW - They also make all of NAPA Auto Parts branded oil filters.

BOSCH Distance Plus are my 2nd choice.

I’d run one, and then I’d run the other. Both quality.

The fl1a
Looks larger
I always run ford filter on ford engine

Wix is
My second choic

Motorcraft here.

Always Ford Motorcraft filters for me. They work very well and are decently priced. The Wix filter is marginally better than the Motorcraft but not so much to justify the increased price, IMO.

WIX. I buy them by the case. HUGE savings and great filters.

Ditto like others say, both Wix and Motorcraft are very good oil filters. I use the FL1A and the FL820S a lot, but I have a Wix filter somewhere also that I got from Rock Auto, for a good price.

So use both, and also buy a high quality air filter, people keep forgetting to check that(me too).

Ditto like others say, both Wix and Motorcraft are very good oil filters. I use the FL1A and the FL820S a lot, but I have a Wix filter somewhere also that I got from Rock Auto, for a good price.

So use both, and also buy a high quality air filter, people keep forgetting to check that(me too).
The filter I forget all the time is the cabin filter in the Edge and Mustang. This is one feature I wish Ford put in all of the Explorers and Mountaineers.

The filter I forget all the time is the cabin filter in the Edge and Mustang. This is one feature I wish Ford put in all of the Explorers and Mountaineers.
Find the thread here about adding a cabin filter, I think I saw it for the 3rd or 4th gen Explorers. It was many years ago, but a simple job to cut a slot in the airbox behind the glovebox.

Seeing that I change all my vehicles (5 total) oil at 3K mile intervals, I'd use 1 now and the other in 3K miles. Take your pick which to use first. There is much cross over with oil filter manufacturing. So long as you have reputable brands involved I do not think it is a big deal. I actually buy whatever is on sale. Proof positive is that I have never had a problem with my 27 year old Explorer or any of the other cars when using this methodology and oil filter brands such as Motorcraft, Wix, STP, Purolator, Fram

Or, it’s just luck. I used to do 20k oil changes, and now do all 7,500 mile changes and have never had any motor issues in any of the cars I’ve ever had.

If you really want to learn about your filter’s life, cut it open (use a punch and shears, pipe cutter, or a purpose built filter cutter so you don’t contaminate it) and take a look.

I change my oil at 5k and my filter media has almost nothing in it.

You could probably run a filter for 20k or more, but to me it isn’t worth the few bucks I save.

Obviously a finer filter will clog up faster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or, it’s just luck. I used to do 20k oil changes, and now do all 7,500 mile changes and have never had any motor issues in any of the cars I’ve ever had.
Not just a coincidence. Given that all the work is done by self and catching sales at auto parts stores, the expense of my 3K interval is minimal compared to having this done at a shop for 1/2 dozen cars and more frequent changes would never hurt. I will admit that I let some go to 5K interval when using synthetic. So, in response to OP, use them both.

Back