Which locker?

SGR1600

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Chappaqua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4 SOHC
I'm looking into a rear locker. I don't have the $ for a selectable one right now, i.e. ARB E-Locker, Electrac. I'm looking for a regualr old automatic locker. So I'm wondering which would be the best option for me. If someone could outline the differences between the different models and what they mean in terms of on and off road performance. Or if you could direct me to a thread where this has already been asked and answered that would be great, too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

powertrax no slip is what i have. i love it. their lock-right is cheaper but almost the same. it supposedly isn't as quiet.

I know the No-slip is able to be installed by yourself, is the lock rite also? Are they both lunchbox type?

yep! both lunchbox. lockright is only for open diffs though i think.. so that could determine which you would need. no-slip is available for both open and LS models. also, the detroit E-Z locker if very similar to the lock right. don't know about its install as far as options though. i know ben put one in his truck and likes it a lot.

I recommend the no-slip. My lickrite needed to be machined. Ofcourse its for the front, but Geralds no-slip for the front fit perfectly.

I would think that for the rear either option would be a direct fit. Maybe not, but it's definatly an easier install than the front.

How do the detroits compare to the powertrax's??

I recently installed a Quick Lock in my rear diff and it works very well. It's about $100 -$150 cheaper than the Power-trac due to it's a bit noisier. I bought it from 4wheel parts for $295.99 with a life time warranty.

Originally posted by SGR1600
How do the detroits compare to the powertrax's??

Detroit is 'THE' name in lockers.

Detriots are nice but cost more than Power-trac. It's kinda like Levis to Wrangler jeans. They both cover your butt and are double stiched. But Levis are a better name.

Originally posted by nak4af
They both cover your butt and are double stiched.

I like that :D

OK, I understand that the Detroit is a better name, but what is technicaly different between a "full detroit" and a lunchbox style?

A full detroit replaces the whole carrier, which means you gotta take your old carrier out, take the ring gear off and put it on the new full locker. You would have to adjust backlash, and generally it is more work.

As far as I know, you can`t get a quiet lunchbox type, so if you wanted less noise, you have to spend more money.

As you can see here in the bestest locker install into an rear open diff write-up on the site, it is very do-it yourselfable.
The luchbox style goes into your carrier, a full locker would replace the whole deal......

You could get an aussie locker.
http://www.torqmasters.com
I'm not sure if they're out for the 8.8, but at 200 dollars it's a price you can't beat!
I think there's a review of it on pirate4x4.com

The Aussie Locker isn't out yet! That's why I bought a Quick Lok instead. Bill Cole from Offroad Lockers said it would be until early summer before they are ready. They are currently working on the D35 as well.

You need to find out if you have a limited slip or a factory open differential. The Aussie Locker isn't and will not be available for the factory limited slip. I spent extra money getting rid of my factory limited slip just for the Aussie, but to no avail. Oh well! Obla De...Obla Da!

I'm looking into a rear locker. I don't have the $ for a selectable one right now, i.e. ARB E-Locker, Electrac. I'm looking for a regualr old automatic locker. So I'm wondering which would be the best option for me.
3/32 7018 welding rod

everything else cost's alot of money

next most viable option on the cheap side is a powertrax

you REALY get what you pay for when it comes to lunchbox lockers

Aussie locker yea right

Aussie lockers website has been saying they have them to sell for a couple of years when they have never really made any. Theres always a new excuse. First it was a couple of summers ago. Then it would be 3 more weeks, next late August, then Sept. then Christmas. Of course after that it was March, oh sorry we've been delayed 3 weeks, we will ship early April, oops again lets make that early summer. May, June, July OK there done, sent them out last week! August, Sept. where are they? Oh we decided we wern't done yet, they will be shipped in 3 weeks. I thought you already sent them. Nope they lied again. Mid to late Sept. oh goody, yea right. Last I've heard, it was going to be late September or early October, but they have not answered back to string us along any more since mid October. So someone order an Aussie locker and let us know when it actually shows up at your house. Maybe by then you will be to pull a U-haul with it.:D OK rant over.

I felt the same way AspenX! Just so you know they are real and do exist. Aussie locker review
They are a new company so they gotta get it right. They weren't aware there was a 28 and a 31 spline Ford 8.8 until recetly.

Just read that review... sounds really great. So is it available yet, or are we still waiting?

ok the no slip and lock rite can be put in yourself and are cheap but their lunch box style not as strong.
so is the Ez locker which is made by detroit

the true detroit locker is stupid strong. and works awesome. but it is more expensive and needs to be put in by someones who has done ring and pinion work becasue you need to adjust backlash and such.

i've heard that the no slip is quieter then the lockrite.
and
I've seen an Ez locker work good in another ex sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I emailed the Aussie Locker guys and was told that the locker was not yet available. He said that it would be the summer before they had them in their inventory.

Back