• Register Today It's free!

which locker

redrocket1468

Reaction score
City, State
greenville
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 limited 4in.sus3in.bod
have 4.56 gears now and looking for a locker for the front dana 35. was wondering what i should get ive been looking at the richmond lock right and the aussie locker

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aussie!!!

I have been using an Aussie in the Dana30 on my Jeep YJ Wrangler for more than two years. This locker is invisible in 2wd and of course provides great traction in 4wd. No noise in 4wd either

I'm in the southwest U.S. and we don't get much weather here (Need to update my profile)

Opinions vary on the safety of having an autolocker -- such as the Aussie -- in your front end if you are ever in snow or icey conditions w/4WD engaged. Some say you get used to driving with it in those conditions. Others say avoid installing it altogether. Still others say stay in 2WD until you get stuck :D.

Aussie!

does the aussie make alot of noise in yours i have noticed that some say theres is quiet and some say its noisey

Never heard a peep out of mine in the front, my rear lock-right is quiet too.

You can hear mine ratcheting if you're not in 4wd but have the hubs locked and make a sharp turn. Other than that I never hear it.

locker

redrocket, is your rear open, l/s, or locked?

its LS in rear

Either Aussie or a Detroit EZ-Locker. I have the EZ-Locker in my Dana 35 and the ONLY time it makes a noise is when the front is locked in and making a real sharp turn. I love having both front tires locked together.

What about ARB? Any input about them?

What about ARB? Any input about them?
What about them? Selectable, drives normal on the street, expensive, requires on board air and many more parts to go wrong. To me a selectable isn't worth the price, I don't mind how autolockers handle and I like being able to stomp it and put power down through both tires instead of spinning one, the only selectable LS/locker combo is the Aurburn ECTED but it is not a true locker, the clutches only get tighter, there is no positive locking mechanism and they are known to slip.

After watching Ted (Tbars) and listening to him over the CB as people took him through the ditches with his front locker at truckhaven I decided a full auto locker wasn't for me.

We can't afford an ARB so I got Ranger X's Trac-loc (limited slip).. I'm going to put an extra clutch disc in it when rebuilding it to make it tighter but it still won't be a full locker..

Most of the trails I go on need the ability to make sharp turns which doesn't normally happen with a front automatic locker.

I don't want to have to keep hopping out of the truck to unlock a hub or keep doing multi point turns becuase the front wants to go straight.

~Mark

from what i have read on the auto locker when your turning it ratchets to let one wheel spin more so you shouldnt have a problem

Absolutely love my TrueTrac L/S in the front of mine. :)

I know...
DeadHorse.gif

I say that a lot.

But from your choices I would go with the Aussie. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

from what i have read on the auto locker when your turning it ratchets to let one wheel spin more so you shouldnt have a problem

Only when your not on the gas.. When your on the gas it doesn't ratchet.. the ground slips before the lockers lets the wheel spin..

~Mark

Only when your not on the gas.. When your on the gas it doesn't ratchet.. the ground slips before the lockers lets the wheel spin..

~Mark

will a rear aussie-type locker act this way on the road?

Personally, I'd rather have to add a couple steps for a sharp turn than not have a locked front when I need it as most people with locked front ends feel. It really doesn't lessen your turning radius that much, but then again I have a shorter wheelbase than you X guys.

Yes, in long fast sweeping corners you'll never notice it, use light positive throttle on sharp corners so it can unlock, it's not as bad as it sounds, I daily drive almost 1000 miles a month with a locked rear and wouldn't trade it for anything, I purposely make it lock around some sharp corners as well, most of the time the tires wont chirp and I haven't noticed any extra tire wear out back.

On the road your in 2wd.. so the locker in the front wont' do anything UNLESS the hubs are locked.. which your normally don't do..

If the locker was in the rear then yes.. the auto rear locker can give you locker wiggle on the road..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the locker was in the rear then yes.. the auto rear locker can give you locker wiggle on the road..

~Mark

Yes that was the Q&A. Rear lockers. Aussie's website talks like theirs ratchets better, allowing the outside wheel to overspeed away from the other wheel in a turn.

When your on the gas it doesn't ratchet.. the ground slips before the lockers lets the wheel spin..

You indicated lack of ratchet action while in the dirt and on the gas. I was checking on a rear locker on the road... and still wonder how it'd be under moderate acceleration in the curves. I got ya in an apple to oranges question.. sorry!

Sounds like wheel slippage for sure in snow (not that I'd be hard on the gas anyway).

Rainy roads might be that fine line that gets a fella in trouble, with an Aussie in the rear diff??

Wiggles from spools and such i get. Well, welded spiders anyway... from the hot rod days. I sure was a cheap b*st*rd back then. heh

Back