which motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which motor

sudsmcduff

Reaction score
hi, newbie here. just had my 2004 explorer with 60k miles blow up. 4.0 .need a new/used motor. have no idea wich motor i need to buy. my 8th digit in vin is a 'e'. thanks for any help

Any Ford SOHC V6 long block

You can use the long block in any vehicle that came with Ford's 4.0L SOHC V6: Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger/Mazda B4000, Mustang and Land Rover Discovery 3/LR3. The 4WD engine has a balance shaft. Most of the 2WD engines do not. However, several members have swapped their balance shaft engine with one that doesn't have a balance shaft and almost all have reported no problems. Surprisingly, some of the early Mustang engines had a balance shaft even though they were 2WD. The Mustang engine has a plug in place of the crankcase breather on the Explorer. Also, there is a minor difference in the fuel injector mounting. Several members have replaced their Explorer engine with a 2005 or later Mustang engine and there are posts on the forum describing the process. Unless you get the same year engine, you should use your current engine wiring harness, intake and exhaust manifolds, fuel rails and accessories to simplify the swap.

I used an 08 Mustang engine went well. I moved my components over it had 52k on the clock and i bought for 850 delivered to my house

Back