Which OEM tires come on Explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which OEM tires come on Explorers?

Floatman

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 EX, Ltd, 300A, V6
After reading about the flat spots on the Hankook tires, I got to wondering what tires came on the different models of the Explorer. So i went up to a couple of dealers to take a look. There were a couple of base models that had Michelins, but everything else had the Hankooks.
I've just ordered a Limited. So since I've signed the deal I've lost whatever bargaining power I may have had to specify Michelins. (I think)
Has anybody on here been able to swing a deal with a dealer to swap out the Hankooks for Michelins?
And if so, what did it cost?
Even though the price point on the Defenders is pretty close to the Hankooks, I'm thinking it will be pricey.
I've had Michelins on other vehicles and never had any issues with them, but what I've read about some of the Hankooks has me a little worried.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading about the flat spots on the Hankook tires, I got to wondering what tires came on the different models of the Explorer. So i went up to a couple of dealers to take a look. There were a couple of base models that had Michelins, but everything else had the Hankooks.
I've just ordered a Limited. So since I've signed the deal I've lost whatever bargaining power I may have had to specify Michelins. (I think)
Has anybody on here been able to swing a deal with a dealer to swap out the Hankooks for Michelins?
And if so, what did it cost?
Even though the price point on the Defenders is pretty close to the Hankooks, I'm thinking it will be pricey.
I've had Michelins on other vehicles and never had any issues with them, but what I've read about some of the Hankooks has me a little worried.
I asked my dealer about it back when I picked up my new 2011 Limited. Dealer said they would not do it. After calling several tires shops I finally found one that would give me $80 a tire provided they had no more than 100 km (60 miles) on them. Took their offer and installed new Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires on the vehicle. Since then I've had a 2014 MKT and my current 2017 Platinum and both had the Hankooks. The current Ventus ones had to be rebalanced due to vibration issues which are almost completely gone. Flat spotting can occur with various tire brands, not only Hankook, especially with the 20" tires. When it does occur it only lasts for a mile or so then smooths out. Also more common in colder weather. Personally, if the only issue I had was 'flat spotting' I wouldn't worry about it.
When the 5th gen. Explorer first came out I believe the Base had Goodyear, the XLT had Michelin and the Limited had Hankook. I believe Goodyear is no longer in the mix.

Peter

I feel a little flatspotting on my Hankooks at times, but... it goes away, as Peter said, within a mile or so. Just the nature of the rubber compound.

You'll be hardpressed to get a dealer to swap them out. But honestly, they're an OK tire. Not great, but perfectly acceptable. No real complaints about them, at least from me. I wouldn't sweat it.

I didn't have any problems with the Hankooks from the factory either. We got 42K miles out of them and I replaced them with Pirellis.

Thanks for the replies!
I was just on the F150 forum and read an article there about vibration and roadnoise. The Hankooks were found to be the problem there too. Different tire than on the Explorer. Lots of time to search out costing of switching. That will be the determining factor in the end.

I have had 3 of my Hankook Explorer Sport tires changed under warranty do to out of round and have posted my experiences. I was not a fan of a tire that caused bouncing and vibrations on a brand new car. Having just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to Atlanta, I must admit that the tires are not that bad and have grown on me a bit. We had a lot of rain everyday and not once did I or my wife feel uneasy driving with these tires. They actually work quite well in rain, can be noisy but it depends on the surface. Never once did we lose traction or experience hydroplaning. Driving through the hills and mountains the tires worked great and didn't even squeal in a parking garage. They have 7,000 miles on 3 of them and 13,000 on one. Judging from the wear I have had, I expect to get about 25,000 miles out of them. I gotta give them an 8.5 out of 10 as long as they don't go out of round again...

I wasn't unhappy with them until the last few K miles, thou they aren't load rated correctly for something as heavy as the EX is (especially when loaded) but I too didn't have hydroplaning until closer to the end. I now have the Michelin LTX M/S and the ride is better but a little softer side to side on turn-in. And I now have a tire that is a bit better for lighter off-roading and more appropriate load rating.

I wasn't unhappy with them until the last few K miles, thou they aren't load rated correctly for something as heavy as the EX is (especially when loaded) but I too didn't have hydroplaning until closer to the end. I now have the Michelin LTX M/S and the ride is better but a little softer side to side on turn-in. And I now have a tire that is a bit better for lighter off-roading and more appropriate load rating.
The factory installed Hankooks have a rating of 105 (about 925kg per tire); which is pretty sufficient.

My wife's 2017 XLT Explorer came with Michelin Latitude tires. So far they have been great tires, real smooth on the highway and good in snow and rain.

Whimsey

My wife's 2017 XLT Explorer came with Michelin Latitude tires. So far they have been great tires, real smooth on the highway and good in snow and rain.

Whimsey
I'd be happy if my Limited came that way!

It seems odd that Ford uses a "lesser perceived" quality tire on a higher end model. I've always have had great results with Michelin tires. I'm grateful this lowly XLT model came with the Michelin Latitude tires.

Whimsey

It seems odd that Ford uses a "lesser perceived" quality tire on a higher end model. I've always have had great results with Michelin tires. I'm grateful this lowly XLT model came with the Michelin Latitude tires.

Whimsey
Can't make everyone happy.
Tires with a load rating of 105 and speed rating of H; is apparently not enough!

A local tire shop has advertised 4 of the Hancook "take=offs" including mounting and balance on a local buy/sell website, for $500 because they don't want to keep them around taking up space. The Michelin Defender LTX tires I'd like to have on the new Explorer are $1336 for 4 from Costco.
I'm really surprised that Ford would put questionable tires on any of their vehicles after the Firestone fiasco of years ago! Obviously they get the tires much cheaper because of their buying power, but the fact that they do put Michelins on some vehicles, (my wife's MKC) and Whimseys XLT Explorer says that Fords price must be similar for either tire.
A previous poster on this thread saying that three of his tires were out of round and needed replacing is a sad statement, IMO. And I would bet that is not an isolated case.

@Floatman $1,336? whoa! I got mine for under $900 (with tax) from Discount Tire putting them against Costco.
oh wait, I see you are CAD so that equals $1041.92 USD still a lot higher.

BTW I am very pleased with the LTX

Nothing is ever fair when it comes to 'free trade'
The price I quoted also includes our taxes both HST and environmental tax, and probably one more our Liberal government adds on.
But we do have universal health care, lol

My factory Hankooks have been fine since day 1. When it comes to replace them, I'll just get whatever seems good. I'll probably go for pure summers over all-season since I already have dedicated winter tires.

My factory Hankooks have been fine since day 1. When it comes to replace them, I'll just get whatever seems good. I'll probably go for pure summers over all-season since I already have dedicated winter tires.
Come on.....you don't get winter in Vancouver !:D

Last winter in Vancouver was quite a lot... mainly because we don't have the infrastructure to clear the roads properly, so we literally had skating rinks for streets. But I had winter tires anyways, because I take skiing seriously and actually drive to mountains and to the interior. Sun Peaks near Kamloops is my favorite resort.

1A4rlQ.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back