• Register Today It's free!

Which oil do you use?

JimmyGator

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac Limited V8
At the risk of starting an oil flame war, which I hope doesn't happen in this thread, which oil do you put in your late model 4.6? I used Motorcraft blend in my 2003 5.3 Excursion.

This is a mostly highway driven vehicle with some light city usage and some towing also I'm in Florida with long hott summers!.

So which type (synthetic, blend or conventional), weight and maybe even why you choose it?

2010 Limited 4.6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing like good 'ol Lorenzo's Oil
Lorenzo%27s+Oil+(1992).jpg

[/hijack]

But to be serious, the 4.6 is nothing special so the other discussions about oil (blend, weight, manufacturer, etc..) also applies here.

But to be serious, the 4.6 is nothing special so the other discussions about oil (blend, weight, manufacturer, etc..) also applies here.

Thanks, did see where the manual recommends Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend or full Synthetic. That's what I put in the Excursion. I've used the Castrol Synthetic the last few years in my high mileage, other than a Ford, vehicles. I guess the 5W-20 seems a bit light for hot weather but that's my old school memory coming back about oil weights...

I use Mobil-1 5w20

5w30

I live in a place where changing your own oil is out of the question, so I have to let a shop do it. Up here in WI there are plenty of Valvoline places, and I've been happy with their service. Naturally they use Valvoline oil. :p:

I use full synthetic--why not, it's the best! It's not like it costs that much more, and it is ideal for people like me, who often forget to change the oil on schedule. It's also better suited for my driving habits, which range from letting a car sit for months to driving it like I stole it. :D

I don't see the point of partial synthetics, other than marketing hype. Might as well buy a good mineral oil in bulk and change it religiously.

The 3-valve 4.6 motor in the later Sport Tracs is essentially a Mustang motor with an iron block. Ford recommends using 5W30 in Mustangs, but 5W20 in Sport Tracs. Something tells me that it's all about CAFE, and shaving tiny slivers of fuel economy wherever possible. I use 5W30 in my ST, just like I do in my Mustang.

I've used both Motorcraft and Mobil 1 Synthetic. I noticed no difference in mileage between the two and I changed every 3000-3500 miles.

I've used both Motorcraft and Mobil 1 Synthetic. I noticed no difference in mileage between the two and I changed every 3000-3500 miles.

I stayed with Motorcraft syn blend 5w20. I had a 5 gal contained left over from the Excursion I'd not opened so only needed another quart to top off with. I'll say one thing, I don't like where the oil filter is located, it was hard to get the filter wrench on with enough work room to remove the factory installed filter. Need a new cap type wrench, mine was for smaller diameter filters.

Nothing like good 'ol Lorenzo's Oil
Lorenzo%27s+Oil+(1992).jpg

[/hijack]

They filmed that movie not far from where I live.
I run Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy Formula. I've had used oil analysis done after 5000 miles and it was fine. I am going to run it for the full 7500 miles this time and get another UOA.
Motorcraft Blend is a very good oil. The wife's Taurus calls for 5w-20 and I've gotten UOA's on both Mobil 1 and Motorcraft oil after 5000 miles and there was virtually no difference. Therefore I spend half the money and buy Motorcraft.
Know that only V8 Sport Tracs call for 5w-20. The 4.0 V6 is I think the only Ford engine left that calls for 5w-30.

Back