• Register Today It's free!

Which Oil filter do I need?

crazymustang79

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I just bought a 99 Explorer Sport with 4.0 SOHC and am wanting to change the oil, but when I looked at the parts store the book showed 2 different ones. One has 22mm thread and the other is 3/4in thread. How do I know which one I need without taking the old one off first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 99 4.0 EB uses the 3/4-16 filter thread. Motorcraft FL1A is the basic, but I would recommend the Fram Ultra XG8A for only a couple bucks more at Walmart. Excellent filtration at 20 microns and good for 15k intervals, the best bang for buck top shelf filter IMO.

BITOG is an excellent resource, I couldn't tell you how many hours I have spent reading about seemingly trivial details on fluids and filters.

I bought a Fram Tough Guard PH8A (basic model, orange can of death) to use for my inline trans filter (as a break in filter to catch whatever was floating around en masse, have since switched to the largest KN HP for fine filtration and additional capacity) when I plumbed an additional aux trans cooler. The PH8A was very light construction compared to the XG8A (Ultra model), which feels very sturdy and robust, on par with the Bosch Distance Plus at half the cost.

Not to cause a huge debate, but FRAM went down hill years ago. I'd stick with Motorcraft for a good basic filter. Or for probably the best? Napa Gold which is a very high standard filter made by WIX.

And the statement to buy them both, and return the one not needed is a good one. Although just looking at the part number of the one installed should tell you exactly what is needed for the part ID. Just stay away from FRAM. (That's on the same level as going to "ValvoScream Instant Oil Change"...their filters are garbage)

S-

Read the number off the filter that's on there now and cross-reference it at the auto parts store. It might be the metric one (22mm) or the 3/4" one. Ford used both. If you have the owner's manual it should help.

This-> Mobil-1 Extended Performance Filter #M1-301

Back