Which Raduis arm bushings to get?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Which Raduis arm bushings to get??

sholzee

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB 4dr 4x4
I want to replace my RA bushings, Which do I get?? Ford wants $40 for a kit that does the front side of bracket, Then $10 each for the back of bracket and has a nylon sleeve or something. I see some at NAPA that have different degrees of caster they can adjust to. If I do the remove the rivets and bracket how much will alignment be affected. Things are pretty rusty under there I doubt an alignment shop will want to mess with it without charging a fortune.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CHH777

Once...
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4
I've tried stock replacements as well as polys and they all wear out in a year or so (at least for me). I'm trying the Moog heavy duty next.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
I'd try some Performance Suspension Components RA bushings if I were you. If you want any durability, don't get rubber bushings (like the ford ones). Don't get generic polyurethane bushings either. That's what I did 8 months ago and mine are beginning to creak and groan on me already. Maybe they are binding up in there. Performance Suspension Comp. makes a graphite-impregnated poly bushing and it sounds like it might be self-lubricated to avoid the creaks n groans.

Oh, and on the alignment thing..all I know is that I did not have to have my truck aligned after changing the bushings. It runs straight as an arrow. I changed them myself. Most shops might use the documented Ford method, which is pretty involved and requires pretty much disassembling the whole front end to change some little bushings. Using their method to change the bushings, you probably would need an alignment. The simpler way I changed them might have meant that I did not need an alignment.

CHH777

Once...
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4
Outwardly my RA bushings always look fine but when I get them off they're mutilated inside and I have metal-to-metal contact. Luckily I don't have the catalytic converter heat issue anymore as I went with extended RAs and the new mount location is much further from it.

Rhett,

Thanks for the info. I knew someone made graphite-impregnated poly bushing but I couldn't remember the manfufacturer.

MarkB

Reaction score
City, State
PHX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Moog

I recently replaced mine with Moog bushings and am happy with them. Replaced the R/A brackets at the same time (I did not have any rivets to deal with). discountautoparts.com had the best price I find and I replaced them myself - 6.5 hours total for bushings/brackets. The one quote I had from the pros was $280 for labor and included the bushings (unknown brand).