Which remanufactured engine should I choose? Promar? Motorcraft? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which remanufactured engine should I choose? Promar? Motorcraft?

skittle021

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'll keep this story short. I made a stupid mistake with the timing chain tensioners and blew the head on my 4.0 engine, 2010 Explorer. The mechanic (trusted guy, my father runs the shop he works for) says that the head is toast but that he feels pretty sure it killed a piston too. So his recommendation is a reman engine instead of fixing my current engine.

I'm trying to decide, do I go with a Motorcraft engine or an after market? I don't want a used engine unless I can find one with a service history (very unlikely). I've been looking at Promar engines and feel pretty confident that it would be okay, but should I just pay the extra cash and get a Motorcraft engine since this install will be taking place at a Ford Dealer? It would simplify the process, I'm just having a hard time justifying the funds. The Promar is $2,600 and the Motorcraft is $3,200.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do the warranties compare? Would it be easier to get it repaired/replaced at the dealer if something went wrong with the new engine?

As rmcalis said, look into the warranties. Sometimes Ford dealers offer better warranties for using Motorcraft parts.

Which side head? And how any miles are on the engine?

IMHO, it would depend on your relationship w/the dealer. If it's a great dealer and you've had good results from other work they've done for you, I'd spend the extra money and have them do it.

For that little price difference, I personally would go with a Motorcraft without hesitating.

Back