Which replacement fuel pump for my X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which replacement fuel pump for my X

nmos

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm about to replace the fuel pump on my 92 Explorer with 220K miles and I'm just wondering what brands/models you guys like. Normally I get this type of stuff from Autozone (used to go to Pep Boys for important stuff but they've gone out of business) but this isn't the sort of part I want to replace a second time or risk dying on the road. It looks like both AZ and Checker have The Airtex brand with 1 year warranty for $109. Checker also has a Spectra brand for a little more. Napa has a Bosh unit for $250 but it still only has a 1 year warranty. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought one for my 93 from AM autoparts off of ebay, and before you flame me, I have had good luck with auto parts from ebay at least until recently. The pump assembly I bought has a 10 year warranty, to which they sent me a replacement already due to a broken clip for the float.

My issue, to be clear, I'm not sure if my issue is sending unit related or a broken/ damaged wire along the harness for the gauge as it reads empty. I haven't had a chance to test the plug under the master cylinder to determine ohms, as it's been pouring rain or freezing cold for several days now. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of my issue this weekend.

The original post is from 2010, which proves the search function works well.

I did the 'through the floor' access panel thing, so changing out the pump became a relatively minor thing. Having that, I bought a cheap fuel pump assembly with a lifetime warranty, and kept my paperwork safe. I got about 2 years out of the first one, the second one was still in service 2 years later when I retired the truck.

Now, this clearly illustrates that I am a cheap old fart! But, it's the way I went to save... well, about $200, and the lifetime warranty applies to replacements, so it would be the last one you have to pay for.

I did the 'through the floor' access panel thing, so changing out the pump became a relatively minor thing. Having that, I bought a cheap fuel pump assembly with a lifetime warranty, and kept my paperwork safe. I got about 2 years out of the first one, the second one was still in service 2 years later when I retired the truck.

Now, this clearly illustrates that I am a cheap old fart! But, it's the way I went to save... well, about $200, and the lifetime warranty applies to replacements, so it would be the last one you have to pay for.

Shoot, I’m just as cheap!! I would love to end my confusion with a broken wire on mine as you previously mentioned, but if the powers that be determine that I have a bad pump assembly, so be it. I’m all for smarter not harder, and since I haven’t cut a hole in my floor to access my pump, I have the harder route of things.

I hope to test the ohms as you previously mentioned in another post.

We need to put together a Gofundme to purchase a Delorean for you
I have a good flux capacitor I'd be willing to send out to help the cause. :crazy:

that would help a lot. how would i hook it up to my explorer, do you have a diagram.

Back