• Register Today It's free!

Which Shocks Are Better ???

MrVegas

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas,nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4x4
I'm looking at rancho or pro comp. Does anyone have these on their X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run neither however here are a couple things to think about.
The pro-comps are cheaper and a bit softer riding if you do a lot of street driving as well as off road.

Rancho's are tough to destroy no matter what you do, but they are a bit on the stiff side

Think about the Rancho RS 9000X. They are ajustable and can give you what ever ride you want. I know alot of places have them now buy 3 get one free at about $89.00 each. Im pretty sure Rocky Mountain Suspension still has that sale going on, I have had good service with their company.
Nick Good
(GUTTLY@aol.com)

I have the ProComps. They are great. Nicer than the Ranchos because they are gas charged monotube and adjustable. The mono tube makes the body longer than a rancho of the same travel. The ranchos are a foam cell dual tube, widly used and accepted, but not really that great.

Are the Rancho 5000s a little stiff? I wish I oculd get the 9000s, but my budget does not allow for it.

NYC97XLT said:
Are the Rancho 5000s a little stiff? I wish I oculd get the 9000s, but my budget does not allow for it.

Rancho 5000s are junk, ok maybe not junk but I don't like them. They don't have enough damping and they make this stupid squish squish noise every time you go over a bump.

If you are looking for a really good shock check out the Black Diamond XT.

I dont have any experience with either but over the years here ive heard that the ranchos are good.

I have Pro Comp 9000's They seem to work good and I have had no problems with them

How about Bilstein?

I have Pro Comp 3000's and they're pretty stiff.

I have the RMX shocks from Les Schwab, and the handling and trail manners are great. They are basically a copy of a bilstein, but I think if I had to do it again, I would put a set of bilstein's on it.

Back