Which shocks should i go with? Need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which shocks should i go with? Need help

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
So my truck is at about 145k miles. I would like to get some new shocks cause when i hit a speed bump i feel like my truck is coming off the road. and the think sways like a boat.
I was reading a few different forums and i heard sensa tracks are good by monroe. eldebroc too.

I also read somewhere that the sensa trac will get you an extra 1-2inch of lift... is that true? Or is there any shocks that will do that?

i have a TT/ AAL and shackles in the back. i would love to go a little higher but i dont really know how to get there. I think if i could go about an inch or 2 higher that would be great so i could put 33" tires on the truck without rubbing.

any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

monroe load adjusters in the rear will give u some additional lift and Rancho 5000s up front same set up 98 Sport the load adjusters gave me an additional 1.5 inches in the rear

monroe load adjusters in the rear will give u some additional lift and Rancho 5000s up front same set up 98 Sport the load adjusters gave me an additional 1.5 inches in the rear

the EXACT kind of answer i was looking for! thank you. so monroe load adjusters.... is that the brand/ name?
and then the ranch 5000s will give me some lift up front too? you know how much?

like i said just want a little more lift and i figured i need shocks that they could help. just want to stick some 33s under it

the EXACT kind of answer i was looking for! thank you. so monroe load adjusters.... is that the brand/ name?
and then the ranch 5000s will give me some lift up front too? you know how much?

like i said just want a little more lift and i figured i need shocks that they could help. just want to stick some 33s under it

Yup, Sogsnakebite is right, and he is the one who pointed me in the right direction as well!

here is my thread showing which front and rear shocks I used. Look them up on Amazon.com and you will find some amazing prices on those!

Good luck!

the Ranchos wont give u any additional lift on the front they will just improve the ride, the Monroe sensatrac load adjusters will give u an additional inch to inch and a half lift in the rear and improve the ride

Ummmm, correct me if im wrong, but I dont think a regular plain old shock could ever actually lift your explorer. It would have to be one pretty damm stiff shock to support the weight of your truck, because i could compress my rancho rs9000xl by hand when they were brand new out of the box. And if the shocks are lifting ur truck a extra 1.5" then what are your springs doing? :dunno:

Ummmm, correct me if im wrong, but I dont think a regular plain old shock could ever actually lift your explorer. It would have to be one pretty damm stiff shock to support the weight of your truck, because i could compress my rancho rs9000xl by hand when they were brand new out of the box. And if the shocks are lifting ur truck a extra 1.5" then what are your springs doing? :dunno:
They are referring to load adjusting spring assisted shocks, NOT "regular
plain old shocks". Search Monroe 58617 (Rear only). Here's just one thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329261

http://www.monroe.com/products/Sensa-Trac/Load-Adjusting-Shock-Absorbers

I still don't think they will net any lift. Maybe on a old saggy leaf pack but not on a healthy pack of springs

I still don't think they will net any lift. Maybe on a old saggy leaf pack but not on a healthy pack of springs

You don't have to think about it. Sogsnakebite told you his results.;)

the only way i can see it "giving you more lift" is giving back the lift lost from sagging leafs but i wouldn't think it would be as drastic as an inch to an inch and a half. my fox shocks, valved for my truck, are pumped to 200psi and didn't net me any lift.... and i had blown shocks in the rear before i bought the new ones too.

as far as purchasing shocks, i really liked my rancho 5000's when i had them. i would definitely recommend them! stiff but nice

You would have to have some pretty heavy-duty "helper" springs on thoes shocks to hold your truck up a extra 1.5" higher then your leaf springs. If your leafs were already sagging the maybe just maybe you might net SOME lift from the shocks.

This quote was taken from the link that swshawaii posted above.

davemengel:

"For $50 I put on a set of Monroe load adjust shocks. My factory shock were shot anyways. They leveled out rear end nicely without adding a harsh ride. With adding some warrior shackles I got about 3 inches of lift (only about an inch and a half over factory height)."

He says that with the shocks and shackles he got about 3 inches of lift, BUT ONLY ABOUT A INCH AND A HALF OVER FACTORY. That inch and a half is what i achieved after throwing on my shackles. ;)

as for shocks i really like my rancho rs9000xl's. Amazing ride, and the adjustability is a really nice option to have as well.

the Ranchos wont give u any additional lift on the front they will just improve the ride, the Monroe sensatrac load adjusters will give u an additional inch to inch and a half lift in the rear and improve the ride

thanks for all the replys everyone!
after reading that thread, it looks like since the warrior shackles generally get you 1.5-2 inchs of lift. the shocks being the monroe sensatrac load adjusters would have to give about 1-1.5 inchs which is what i want :)
Now for the front you say the ranchos would give any lift, what will give me lift? In the thread it said he got an extra inch upfront withe the ranchos is that true?

Just looking to get some more lift. 1-1.5 in the back would be awesome. and 1-1.5 in the front would be ideal.

Most decent aftermarket shocks will get you a little "lift." It's really not lift it's just that the old shocks were that worn out. I replaced my OEMs about 80k miles and my truck height went up about an inch to 1.5" at all 4 corners with Monroe sensa tracs up front and max-airs in the rear. 50k later (wow it's been that long?) and I still like the ride from them. Rancho 9000s are adjustable like the Max airs and could get you a good amount of lift but it will be a harder ride. I used to pump my rears up really high for a little extra clearance when I wheeled it stock. They give nicely when you're doing less than 5mph but on the road without a heavy trailer, which is what I got them for, it can get a little squirrely.

Most decent aftermarket shocks will get you a little "lift." It's really not lift it's just that the old shocks were that worn out. I replaced my OEMs about 80k miles and my truck height went up about an inch to 1.5" at all 4 corners with Monroe sensa tracs up front and max-airs in the rear. 50k later (wow it's been that long?) and I still like the ride from them. Rancho 9000s are adjustable like the Max airs and could get you a good amount of lift but it will be a harder ride. I used to pump my rears up really high for a little extra clearance when I wheeled it stock. They give nicely when you're doing less than 5mph but on the road without a heavy trailer, which is what I got them for, it can get a little squirrely.

sounds good so i think im going to do the monroe sensa trac for about $90.00 shipped.
and then go with the rancho rs5000 unless someone can come up with a shock that will get me more lift? i looked at the whole coil over option but tooo complicated and not "safe" and "easy" enough.

i had a freshly built 4 dr leaf pack in my Sport with a long AAl saggy ass syndrome wasnt an issue for me, i had to literaly jack up the truck and the load adjusters to get them to bolt in they are that much longer and beefier than standard shocks i achieved 1.5 inches additional lift just with the load adjusters

shocks.jpg

Waterloo-20120922-00038-2.jpg

betsy2-1.jpg

I managed to post this in your thread SEVEN4OiL, but since this is the more recent ongoing talk, could you send me a link to the Monroe shocks you put in the rear? I have an 03 Sport, so i assume they would fit on mine, correct? (if you know that is). I looked them up, but all the sites show they do not make them for my vehicle...but neither was the BL i put on. Do i need to order them for a different vehicle or just go for a certain size (which I also am not aware of what size is needed) Thanks in advance for you help! Take care!

Dweeberman I just posted in the other thread Monroe info for you.

Dersh if you're just going to get ranchos, I'd say do it on all 4 corners for uniformity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back