• Register Today It's free!

Which shocks w/ 2.5 lift?

kaised

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Bronco XLT
What shocks are people running with small lifts? I take it stock shocks won't cut it. What should I be looking for? Someone told me Bilstien didn't make shocks for a lift, should I go with Rancho's? Wheres the cheapest place for those these days?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you are correct in that bilsteins don't make shocks for lifted explorers. i have a 2 1/4" lift on my truck with a torsion twist and add a leaf/shackle combo in the back. i put old man emu shocks on my truck. they're only recommended for 2" of lift, and this is the only size they make for explorers. however, with my lift they are great and kick butt. they are however a tad pricy. same cost as a set of bilsteins. they give you a stiff ride in the rear due to the shock being made to handle heavy loads. i don't know where to get ranchos for cheap though, sorry.

Bilstein makes shocks for a lifted Ranger for 4 inches of lift. Thats what I have and I really like them. So you can do up to a 4" lift with them or buy a kit that comes with shocks.

The stock shocks will work for the rear on a Rancho 2.5" lift.. and even on a Duff 2.5" Lift.. if you do anything like replace the rear springs+add a leaf with an OME 2.5" rear spring set.. you will need longer shocks if you want the maximum travel..

As for the front.. the stock shocks are way too short for 2.5" lift..

~Mark

For the back I'm using warrior's and add-a-leaf, but I probably need to replace the monroes I have on there. Kebert - did you get your bilstiens from performanceproducts or else where? And did you replace the brake lines? I was replacing the ball joints this weekend and it seemed like there was plenty of line under there....

I got my shocks from Shox.com. They seemed to be reasonable and had really good service. If you seach for "Bilsteins that fit with a lift", I posted a part number for them. I did have to replace the brake lines because the Duff lift actually has a lot of droop for only being a 2.5". The rear I guess could have fit with the lifrt, but I put a stainless on it anyway. But I thought the lines were also long enough to work but when the suspension drooped they got really tight.
Also, I would avoid an add a leaf. I have one that came with my Duff lift and I don't like the firmness of it at all. I would get the spring re arched if I was you.

Back