Which Speakers to get??

ADKExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS Sport
Gentlemen,

I am in the market for new speakres for my doors and I was wondering which copany has the better products?? Alpine, Pioneer, Infinity or Polk?? What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest looking someplace other than Circuit City. But, out of those 4, I would chose Polk.

uh... infinity generally has a lot better quality speakers than polk.. go to a smaller shop thats been in business for awhile

I choose Pioneer for my speakers. They sound great. Go to somewhere where you can listen to them before you buy.

what do you want out of your music? what kind of music do you listen to? do you plan on adding subs to your system (or do you already have them)? are you keeping the stock head unit?

in order to make a good suggestion, rather than just promote whatever each member happens to have, its necessary that we know a little more about you and what you want from your system.

Sorry, I don't like anything by Infinity other than the Kappa Perfect subs. Ever since they were bought by Harmon Industries. Alot of name recognition though.

Well,

I listen to all types of music. I do not want to have to have a sub in right now but it is possible in the future that I would want to add one. I would however like to have a good bass response from the speakers. I will be upgrading to a new head unit as well but I am confident that I will go with an Alpine. I really to not blast my music but I have been known to turn it up from time to time. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

they don't seem easy to find anymore, but I'd reccomend Polk DX7's. they have a silk dome tweeter and midrange and are the smoothest speakers i've owned so far. the only down-side that i'm aware of, besides the fact they were discontinued a while ago, is that they aren't rated for too much power. maybe 60W rms. i found a pair on ebay that i put in my front doors and i love em. i keep the stereo faded up all the time. now and agian there are more pairs, but i'm getting boston acoustics all around soon.

go to tweeter and check out the Boston Acoustics that they have there. I have the $130/pair ones in the front and a $70 pair of Kenwoods in the Back and they sound really good. Just transfered them over into my new 00

Unless you're dropping the $$ for Alpine Type-R's, i would avoid Alpine. I have the Type R's and they sound AMAZING, but the Type S's sound like poop. Just go to a shop (other than Circuit City) and buy what sounds the best to your ear. Thats how I ended up with my Alpine's

I just replaced my door speakers last week and listened to the Polk, Infinity, Alpine and Bazooka and actually ended up goin with the Bazooka cause they were a little cheaper and sounded better than the Polks IMO. The Infinity and Alpines were nice but I couldn't justify spending 100/pair when they didn't blow me away.

Originally posted by xwhaler
go to tweeter and check out the Boston Acoustics that they have there. I have the $130/pair ones in the front and a $70 pair of Kenwoods in the Back and they sound really good. Just transfered them over into my new 00

Hey, xwhala! How ah ya? Tweetah's awesome. Wicked good stuff. :D What did you get? FX8's? I once had a pair of Boston Acoustics Rally Series 6x9 RX9's in the rear deck of a Pontiac Grand Am, and they sounded wikkid fine. I'll be putting Rally Series 5x7 components in my truck and a pair of ProSeries 12-inchers in a sealed box in back. It's gonna sound pissah!! :cool:

Why does everyone keep saying not to go to circuit city ? I was checking out speakers for my 97 Explorer and I dont know if I shou get the Kenwood KFC5708C or the Polk EX357 or the Pioneer TSA6870R. Im using the stock head unit for now.

I agree also not to go to circuit city because all of there stuff is over priced. Just go to a small speaker shop and you can make a deal with them. I just bought some pioneers 240 watts for $88. But I would suggest to go with infinity because they have the best sound quality.

I guess it depends what you buy at Circuit City. I paid $268.97 for my stereo, which included the price of the stereo, the mounting harness that you need when installing a non-Ford audio system, a 2 year protection plan, and tax. At the time there was a special promotion and I got the installation for free.

The retail price for the stereo, according to the JVC website is $249, Circuit City charges $199.99

I know that this may not be the best setup in the world but i have pioneer 2 ways all around in my 97 with the stock head unit and a 200 watt amp hooked to a 10 inch (alluminum cone) sub from walmart.... now the door speakers sound great and since i do have a sub you can tone down the bass to the other speakers... Its great getting things from walmart because if they go bad then you can return them really easy....i had one of my door speaks go bad cause i got the polarity wrong.....i got the 2 way pioneers for 28 dollars a set... :) yeah you heard me right..... they were on clearance....because they were coming out with next years models i also got the amp for 25....originally 95...clearance again..... and the bandpass 10 inch sub for another 25 ....clearance again ....that and a little patience trying to find the right line level inputs for the amp turned out to produce a fine stereo that i can turn all the way up and the stock head unit wont distort or blow them.....for 106 dollars i have a system thats not earth shattering but will still blast out the good ones....

NICE !!
Those are some good bargains. Im not looking to shake the truck either. I just want a full clean sound sounds like you got that going on. I guess of all the places in the world I have to go check out walmart. Huh who would have thought.

BTW I have a 97 Black 5.0 too how do you like yours ? I have only had mine for 3 weeks now. Im happy with it except for the sounds. LOL

Originally posted by BUNGLE
NICE !!
Those are some good bargains. Im not looking to shake the truck either. I just want a full clean sound sounds like you got that going on. I guess of all the places in the world I have to go check out walmart. Huh who would have thought.

I would have to agree with you. All I want is the music to sound good. I really don't like those systems that rattle the whole car.

WalMart is a good place to check out for bargains. My brother is going to get my rear speakers there and they carry many different makes...Sony, Pioneer, etc. I just have to decide which ones I want.

Since my brother works there part time, he will get a 10% discount off the purchase.

Originally posted by BUNGLE
NICE !!

I would have to agree with you. All I want is the music to sound good. I really don't like those systems that rattle the whole car.

WalMart is a good place to check out for bargains. My brother is going to get my rear speakers there and they carry many different makes...Sony, Pioneer, etc. I just have to decide which ones I want.

Since my brother works there part time, he will get a 10% discount off the purchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe this isn't quite what you wanted to hear but this is the wrong way to go about buying speakers. What sounds great to somebody on here may sound like complete crap to you (ex. I hate the Focal Utopias which are about $1,000). The best thing to do is go out and listen to a couple different sets (like metal dome, ceramic, and silk) find which tweeters you best like, then find more components that are like that. If you want good bass response out of your components look into the Adire Kodas.

Back