• Register Today It's free!

Which Speakers?

Rob2000XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I am interested in replacing my 4 factory speakers with high quality replacements. I have looked around and top 4 seem to be these products:
JBL DS755 5x7/6x8
Infinity Reference 5752cf 5x7/6x8
Infinity Kappa 572.1cf 5x7/6x8
Pioneer TS-P682 6x8 plate
Does anybody have any experience with these speakers? Which ones would you recommend? Would one pair be better in the front versus the rear? Any comment will be helpful. Oh and the price really doesn't matter. I am going for what sounds the best here. I also don't want to cut anything or make any custom enclosures to fit new speakers. I want eveything to appear stock.
Thanks,
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion, the Pioneers and JBLs are about equal. Both are your nice basic sets, though they can be a little harsh sometimes. If money is not matter, than the Infinities, though there are still plenty of other choices besides these, as you'll read on this board. As for the Kapppas, the .1 series is getting a lot of criticisn, because they play well, but they seem to be getting complaints about cone warping more often then should be satisfactory.

Jon

I hadn't heard anything about cone warping in the Kappas. Thanks for the info. Has anyone had any experience with the references? Thanks.
Rob

I have heard many many good things about the infinity kappas, out of the selection, I'd go with those

I've got a set of Infinity Reference components and I like them alot. I got them from crutchfield for $99 on sale (usually $180) I would go for the Kappa's from you list. I wouldn't put the Pionner plate speakers you selected in the rear. Those speakers are basically a component set mounted on a 6x8 plate. Hope this helped.

Steve

So would the Pioneer plate speakers be really good in the rear with a pair of Kappas in the back. Or would you put Kappas all the way around? Componet is a nice way to go especially when it doesn't involve custom enclosures. Or on the other hand are the Kappas so good that you would put them all the way around?
Thanks,
Rob

I've got the Infinity References in the doors of my '95 and I like them a lot. I had them running on my Pioneer head unit for a while and they sounded nice. Now I have have them on a Kenwood amp with built in crossovers. With the bass cut out of those things and a little bit of power, they are excellent highs and mids. Just my opinion. BTW, when I was shopping for mine, I was steered away from the Kappas by a salesman who sold both the Kappas and the Reference. He told me that the Kappas weren't worth the extra cash.

I have the Infinity Reference in my doors right now. They sound great, but the bass is overpowering in them. I am planning on putting the reference speakers in the rear doors and getting some kappas for the front doors and running an amp to them. Just my 2 cents

Well it is good to know that everyone has enjoyed their references. I doubted that the sound difference between them and the Kappas would be substancial. You mentioned the bass was overpowering in the references. You that then lend itself to put the pioneer plate speakers, (I think a 5.25 and a tweeter) in the front and the references in the back. Keep in mind I do not have a sub and enjoy thumping bass.

I don't have any experience with the Poineer plates, but Asugolf14 was right in saying that the bass is a little much for the Reference to handle. I was pushing mine with a Poineer DEH-P4000 (45x4 MOSFET) and I had to leave the bass turned down to get good sound quality at a medium volume, and I like my music pretty loud which is why I have the system I have today. The speakers sounded much better when I put them on an amp though. Maybe you can consider an amp to go with your new speakers since you enjoy thumping bass. Just remember, they are only 5x7's.

At the moment I do no want to add an amp to power the speakers. Will the references perform very poorly with the factory amp? I realize the references are only 5x7 so would I be better off with the plate speakers or just a 6x8 three way pioneer? Thanks for all of your input. Oh, also at the moment they would be running of my premium sound receiver. I plan to upgrade to a nice double din later but would all of the speakers be able to connet, etc.?
Rob

Stephen S-
Did just running those speakers to an amp make them sound that much better?? Because I am just like you, I like my music loud, but I have to turn the bass down on my speakers to make them sound decent, which, in turn, brings the bass down on my sub. Thanks

Stephen
where did you mount your amp?

Asugolf14, I think it made them sound much better and clearer. An amp sends them more power so you can get better quality at a higher volume. But my amp has built in crossovers, so I can cut the bass off to the 5x7's and still keep my sub bumping.

Rob2000XLT, I mounted mine under the driver's seat. It's a tight squeeze, and I had to remove the large spring from the seat track, but I thought it was a small price to pay for a hidden amp.

Do you get enough air down there to keep the amp cool? and did the spring affect the seat? Do you have a pics of your truck?

Rob-
I mounted my amp under the rear seat. There was plenty of room and it is pretty easy to get at. Just thought I would throw that in for you.

Stephen-
I think I am going to have to try running that amp to my speakers then. That would be sweet if I could control how much bass was going to them. Thanks for the info!

I haven't had a problem with the amp overheating yet and it's been down there for over a year.

The spring I removed is only used to help you pull the seat forward when moving the seat forward and backward. For example, with the spring attached, if you were to stand outside your truck and lift the lever in front of the seat, it would slowly slide forward. With the spring removed, the seat will move back and forth with no resistance.
Since I am the only one who drives my truck, this doesn't concern me, since with 4 doors, the front seat never has to move.

I have some pics of the outside, but nothing on the inside yet. I'll try to get some pics taken on my install over the Christmas break.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Asugolf14-
Is your amp powering your speakers or you sub? For both of you, where did you run your power to the amp. I want to remain as close to stock looking as possible. I don't want to lose cargo space or start cutting holes in my doors. Can you fold you back seat down now that the amp is there?

Back