Which Speakers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Speakers?

Asugolf14, Cool man. I'm sure it'll work great for you as long as you have an amp with crossovers (like mine) or some other sort of bass control. I like it a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Rob2000XLT
Asugolf14-
Is your amp powering your speakers or you sub? For both of you, where did you run your power to the amp. I want to remain as close to stock looking as possible. I don't want to lose cargo space or start cutting holes in my doors. Can you fold you back seat down now that the amp is there?

My amp is under the driver's seat and it has no effect on the rear seat folding down.

My power cable is run from the battery, through the firewall and under the carpet near the driver's side door sill. The RCA cables are run from the head unit, and down under the carpet on the transmission hump side of the driver's seat (away from the power cable). My wires are invisible, my amp is invisible (unless you bend down and look under the seat) and I lost no cargo space at all for the amp install. Unless you call the space under the driver's seat a cargo area. :eek:)

Sounds like a sweet instalation! Stephen, you don't have power seats do you? I would have to take that into consideration. Is your head unit single din or double? and no I do not think under the driver seat is cargo space!!!

Thanks Rob. But no, my XLT didn't come with power seats. Your power seats may give you a little trouble since instead of a spring like me, you have a whole electric motor. But it still may be possible. I've never looked at the power seats in an Explorer before, but there still may be enough room for an amp.

My head unit is single din.

Rob-
I ran the power straight to the battery through the fire wall. I can still fold my seat down, and it looks completely stock. You can't even tell I have an amp in there, and all of the wiring is hiddin. My amp is used to power my sub right now, but I am also going to power my speakers with it soon I think.

If you're not wanting to purchase an amp yet, and use the stock head unit power, I'd suggest getting some Bass Blockers in the meantime. They sell them at some electrical parts stores as well as Crutchfield and Parts Express. A 5.25" cone isn't really made to handle those frequencies, and is most likely what will give you that crappy bass "knocking" sound. The bass blocker will cutoff the lower frequencies so your midranges won't get that signal, and hence, you'll be able to turn your radio up a bit louder.

Good luck on your decision!

Jon

Stephen-
Did running your speakers to the same amp as your sub is running off of take any bass away from your sub??

Thanks-

Asugolf14, Not with my setup because I have a four channel amplifier, which has a separate crossover for the front channels and the rear channels. The 5x7's are wired to the front two channels with the crossover blocking the bass. The sub is bridged on the rear two channels with the crossover blocking the highs. This way, no bass is lost in the sub.

Stephen-
I only have a two channel amp, so that probably wouldn't work for me, but I just went and got some bass blockers and put them on the speakers. That helped a little. I am just going to have to save up for either a better amp, or another amp if I want them to sound any better. Thanks for the help.

Nah man a two channel won't do for you what my four channel does for me. But the bass blockers should help you out some, since they do essentially the same thing that my crossovers do.

I'm looking into adding a two channel amp to my system. I'd like to add another sub and I don't think that my little four channel can handle six speakers. I'm thinking maybe a 75x2 will drive the two 10's well enough.

Sounds like a good idea. I am thinking of adding another 10 into my system too, but I might get another amp first for the speakers. Good Luck with everything.

Thnaks Asugolf14, and good luck with yours too. I'm working on getting my two channel amp pretty soon, cause I already have the second sub and it's killing me not being able to use it yet. Lemme know how everything turns out if you hook yours up like I have mine. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Take it easy.

Back