Which Wax | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Wax

I am waxing my car this weekend... It has NEVER been waxed to my knoowledge... I would like you guys to suggest me some products that I can get at a local store around the area that isn't too terribly expensive.

I have a few scratches here and there but not too many. Clear coat is not too great. My truck is white and pewter. Thanks in advance...

By the way, yes I used the search function and I still wanted to do this topic. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I used....

My sons 2001 Impala never waxed before. I used a spray detailer for filling fine scratches and then Meguiars.

saginaw11.jpg

saginaw12.jpg

saginaw13.jpg

saginaw14.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wow Brian that looks good! I see your lovely face in the paint too!

So you spray detailed it then waxed it? Any clay bar used at all?

I'm not sure which detailer I used .but it stated on the bottle it removes fine scratches. I used a power buffer with the Meguiars paste wax in the garage out of the sun.

Thanks for the reply. I saw that NUFinish stuff. Orange can on the walmart shelf. I actually took a picture because I was going to ask which was better.

Yea, the NuFinish doesn't give the shine of a Mother's or Meguiars, but it laster longer, IMO.

I heard nothing but good things about Zymol, but I wasn't impressed at all.

Jason- were you using the NXT, or the NXT 2.0? The 2.0 was reformulated, it's a much better wax...

It was the 2.0. I have limited experience with it. I used it once on my Civic hood and bumper after I painted them to protect them a little bit. Plan to do the whole X with it as soon as it warms up a bit. Still have the bottle sitting in my "tool shed" (walk-in "linen" closet that is packed to the gills with tools and parts).

Brian, that IS impressive, but cleaned up black paint ALWAYS looks good. :p:

Nice work, Brian! :thumbsup:

Jason- bring it by... I'll need a stepstool though... :D

If you were closer I'd do it in a heartbeat, haha. :)

Brian, that IS impressive, but cleaned up black paint ALWAYS looks good. :p:

Not always- for instance, since it's dark- you can't see just how good this black paint looks... :D

IMG_1994.jpg

Brian- can you toss on a couple more coats and maybe it'll turn into a Ford? :D

Not mine it's my Wifes...

I can Try.. but they would never live up to the oval's standards! Have one more GM product my wifes 2007 Torrent. This was the first time I waxed it, last summer, and I just used the Meguiars paste wax. I love that stuff. I do them all in the garage out of the sunlight.

explof.jpg

Dang Brian, you got me thinking about getting that stuff!

I claybared the truck today. Boy is it smooth!!! I love the clay bar. It was getting dark so I just spray waxed my truck with Meg's Ultimate Spray Detail Wax. Next weekend I'll wash her real good and use Meg's Ultimate Wax paste and see how it goes. Pictures tomorrow in the florida sun of my work today :)

another view...

I found another picture of my sons car.

Beautiful finish Brian, that meg's look's the good's mate!

Thanks lynchy, I do like it. I find it easy to work with. I've been a fan of Meguiar's for a long time now. My son had bought a new truck and his long time friend needed a car. So my son told me he would like to give the car to his friend who was down on his luck. I also got the inside to look as good as the outside. The look on his friends face when he saw the car was worth all the work.

I've been a Megs user nearly exclusively for years now. There are still a few products that I cross-brand, but love the Megs stuff. They keep winning the most cars on Concours, and their service is incredible- great forum too, where their factory techs are active participants.

Wow! I just registered on their forum. Looks like several good hours of reading. That's all I need now is to become more obsessed on cleaning and shinning my vehicles. I've found out a couple years ago white Vinegar and water in a spray bottle works wonders for cleaning the glass.

Back