Which Wax | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Wax

I am waxing my car this weekend... It has NEVER been waxed to my knoowledge... I would like you guys to suggest me some products that I can get at a local store around the area that isn't too terribly expensive.

I have a few scratches here and there but not too many. Clear coat is not too great. My truck is white and pewter. Thanks in advance...

By the way, yes I used the search function and I still wanted to do this topic. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A good way to approach:

(1) Wash the vehicle.
(2) Use a clay bar on all surfaces to remove contaminants.
(3) Rewash (although some rewash and do 2 at the same time)
(4) Use a paint cleaner or polish
(5) Wax with Meguiars NXT (some of the best store-bought stuff)

If you really want the lowdown on getting the exterior to look its best, head over to www.autopia.org. Good luck!

Thanks alot man I appreciate it.

OR if you wanna spend a few more bucks, and get a totally awesome shine that out lasts wax any day go with Zaino products.
www.zainobros.com

I swear by the stuff, personally.

I'm a huge Zaino fan, also. Auto detailing is a hobby that can be addictive. Newc, when you go to autopia.org, be careful - you can easily spend $150 in a pop there. Your best bet is to sign up for their e-mail list and wait till Dave runs 15% and 20% off sales. His customer service is like no other - I bought some Sonus buffing pads for my Porter Cable, and the one green pad seemed to be coming apart. He will replace it free of charge with my next order, and even better, will switch it with a grey pad (green is final buffing, grey is waxing) since my Sonus refill kit will already have a green in it. A+ in my opinion.

Mon,

A guy at MyST.com was selling a bottle of Z2, Z5, a set of mixing bottles, and Zaino applicators. I got everything for $30 shipped. He bought the Zaino, but never got to using it and instead used his NXT. The box from Zaino hadn't even been opened.

I'm not sure if the mixing bottles include a vial of ZFX, but I am crossing my fingers that when it gets here, I have an extra surprise. I figure, he didn't opt for Z1, so there is a good chance. Here's hoping!

I highly recommend the same as Adam said,
1) Wash with Dawn Detergent 1 time
2) Use a good clay bar to get the surface ready
3) Rewash with a carwash type soap, not Dawn again
4) Polish it to remove scratches and swirl marks and remove bad paint
5) Then maybe a good sealant
6) Then a high quality wax to set it all off and keep it that way.

What the heck is a clay bar?

sorry I'm new.

I too highly recommend Zaino products. Its so easy, its almost fun.

nufan said:

sorry I'm new.
It is exactly what it says, a bar of clay that you wipe across your vehicle using a spray lubricant to keep the body wet and it removes allot of crud off you vehicle that normally wont come off using soaps and polishes. I had my doubts about using one at first, but must say, I am impressed at the results of using one. Nothing short of amazing.

nufan said:

sorry I'm new.
I never knew either when I saw it here. It fact, I had never even heard of a clay bar until I found this site. Here is what one looks like new and used.

21512Meguir_sClayBar.jpg

Anyone got some new wax products to wax lyrical about? I'm looking at these two product's and wanted some opinion's. Cheers.:chug:

1) meg's nxt tech wax.
2) meg's combo pack, show car glaze.
and final inspection.

Sorry I don't have pic's, I'm having a few issue's with uploading at the moment. Thank's again.

NXT tech wax is great stuff. Beads water so well your car wont even get wet, and it wipes off easily unlike most waxes. Highly recomend it!

Thank's guy's! I reckon that'll do me, I'll give it a go. Appreciate it.

Fantastic back from the dead post! I was wax shopping yesterday to get my truck ready for the summer sun here in Florida.

I saw the NXT- but then I saw Turtle Wax's ICE and Meg's Ultimate wax. The two high selling points of these two is

1) Can apply in direct sun
2)No white haze/dust when buffer

My paint is black and sometimes I accidentally get that white residue into the wax and it sticks to my paint. I hate it!!! Has anyone used TW's ICE before? How is it?

Does NXT cause any dust at all?

What I like about ICE- it doesn't white haze black trim. I don't like that it doesn't last worth a crap.

If you're getting white residue into the wax, you're using too much product, and/or not flipping/changing cloths enough.

"heavy" coats of wax don't to more than a normal thin coat, and just create issues wiping off. 2 thin coats will level out the application and provide adequate protection.

I use Meguiars #16 paste topped with NXT 2.0 polymer wax, and maintain with Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer spray. The NXT lasts a lot longer than the TW product, and the #16 is probably the best wax that was ever out. They have stopped selling it in stores due to the chemical compounds, but you can sometimes find it on eBay. I bought 3 tins last time it was on there. The seller was out of Canada.

AFboy - I've heard mixed reviews on TW Ice. Better than their previous products, but not the best on the market. I haven't personally tried it, though.

I thought the NXT was good stuff, but it didn't last that long. I do recall a certain amount of white dust/residue, though maybe not as much as with the Mother's carnauba or Zymol I had been using.

I actually kinda like that Nufinish once a year stuff. It lasted a lot longer than most wax I've tried, even though the shine wasn't top of the line.

I had been using Zymol for a while too - again, not too impressed.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, or I need to do a second coat. :dunno:

What I like about ICE- it doesn't white haze black trim. I don't like that it doesn't last worth a crap.

If you're getting white residue into the wax, you're using too much product, and/or not flipping/changing cloths enough.

"heavy" coats of wax don't to more than a normal thin coat, and just create issues wiping off. 2 thin coats will level out the application and provide adequate protection.

I use Meguiars #16 paste topped with NXT 2.0 polymer wax, and maintain with Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer spray. The NXT lasts a lot longer than the TW product, and the #16 is probably the best wax that was ever out. They have stopped selling it in stores due to the chemical compounds, but you can sometimes find it on eBay. I bought 3 tins last time it was on there. The seller was out of Canada.

Thank you sir. I am not sure what I was doing, but it was driving me nuts. I didnt really cake the wax on, just a nice even, thin coat is what I was applying.

The NXT- I am assuming it doesn't create a white residue because it's a polymer wax, correct?

AFboy - I've heard mixed reviews on TW Ice. Better than their previous products, but not the best on the market. I haven't personally tried it, though.

I thought the NXT was good stuff, but it didn't last that long. I do recall a certain amount of white dust/residue, though maybe not as much as with the Mother's carnauba or Zymol I had been using.

I actually kinda like that Nufinish once a year stuff. It lasted a lot longer than most wax I've tried, even though the shine wasn't top of the line.

I had been using Zymol for a while too - again, not too impressed.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, or I need to do a second coat. :dunno:

Thanks for the reply. I saw that NUFinish stuff. Orange can on the walmart shelf. I actually took a picture because I was going to ask which was better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I noticed the Mother’s is a bit more expensive, but if it doesn’t residue as much I would pay the extra dollar for it. I saw the Zymbol there as well, but it was on the discount shelf which scared me because it seemed no one bought it?

Meg's has this stuff out. It's $20 and it's like the ICE- direct sun light application with no white residue. Any thoughts?

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G18216
p135885b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason- were you using the NXT, or the NXT 2.0? The 2.0 was reformulated, it's a much better wax...

I would browse around on the Megs forum a bit, they have a lot of info and honest reviews by the members, and the factory techs are very active over there too...

Check this thread out: CLICK

Back