• Register Today It's free!

Which year 2nd Gen??

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
I'm looking for a 2nd gen with a 5.0 and 4R70w with the plan to rebuild the engine and transmission and do a 4406 swap and small lift. The goal is to build a tough trail truck that will tow a trailer well.

Initially I was looking for the newest gen 2 5.0 I could get but around here there aren't many to start with and most seem to be '97-99. Is there a specific model year that is preferable? Mostly concerned with VSS issues on the t-case swap but are there other factors that I should be concerned about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You won't have to worry about that on any 98+. The tuning gets a little better with later years after the change to the GT40P heads, but I really don't think there is a substantial difference in those years. The 98+ explorers also got a solid rear sway bar which improved road manners substantially.

Good luck with your build.

Ok, thanks. That helps expand my options a bit.

I have a built up gen 1 now but it seriously lacks in the power department. I like the 5.0 X's because with a t-case swap you basically have half ton running gear. I just have to decide what to do with the front end.

idk about half ton the rear is but the front end is a dana 35

idk about half ton the rear is but the front end is a dana 35

yeah, that's why I said I'm not sure what to do about the front. I'd like to do a SAS but I don't want a bunch of lift.

yeah, that's why I said I'm not sure what to do about the front. I'd like to do a SAS but I don't want a bunch of lift.

Just do the TT with war shackles. you'll get a solid 2 inches of lift without having to do anything special.

The P-motor will do better, but my 97 mercury was a non-p motor with 3:73s, my exploder is a 97 P-motor with 3:55s. I'd take the 3:73s over the P-motor. The D35 is pretty tuff. TT 31's and rock it IMO. If you found a nice 5.0 3:73s I'd snag it (if you only want 31s) I have 4:56s and 33s and sit barely over stock height int the front and sags in the back(fiberglass). As for your orignal question, having both a newer and older one, I would worry more about condition than year.

imo 99-01 are the best. 1998's aren't terrible either but I prefer the newer front bumper.

Back