• Register Today It's free!

which year blocks will work

DAN 88

Reaction score
City, State
CoosBay OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer xlt
Hey, everybody I was curious about a 71 torino 302 engine I have in my garage. I was thinking of using it to build a 347 while keeping my rig a runner. but I don't know if I can. the torino 302 needs a complete rebuild running at about half compression in 7 of the cylinders and 1 is dead. what do you think?

302 vs 5.0L

According to my "Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance" book 302 blocks cast up to 1974 (D4 casting prefix) have greater material thickness and are good candidates for 4-bolt main conversions. However, until 1981 Windsor engines had two-piece main seals that can only be replaced by removing the crankshaft. Also, starting in 1985 roller cams were installed in the 5.0L. Lifter bores were lengthened for the longer roller lifters.

I suggest using a 1985 or later block for a 347 stroker kit short block. I assume that you're aware of the external balance issues associated with upgrading the Explorer to a 347. The stroker kit is designed for the Mustang 5.0L with a 28 inch-ounce front balancer. The Explorer is fitted with a 50 inch-ounce front balancer. You'll need an Explorer trigger wheel mounted on a 28 inch-ounce balancer (of the correct diameter) and a Mustang flexplate/flywheel or a machine shop will have to remove metal from the crankshaft counterweights to balance the engine. I'm not aware of any 347 stroker kits designed for the Explorer 5.0L configuration.

I appreciate the info. I guess I will just have to wait till another block falls in my lap.

I appreciate the info. I guess I will just have to wait till another block falls in my lap.
.. could be painful, wear a cup.

Back