while driving straight steering wheel can spin!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

while driving straight steering wheel can spin!!!!

mumblewagon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
hey there guys, i think i may have a big problem here?!! my steering has been going wonky for quite some time now, starting with steering wheel going from perfect dead center to it being a quarter turn off. stayed like this for sometime, then it started jumping positions while driving until now where at any speed i can spin the wheel all the way around numerous times.
now i know i definitely left it go for to long. but if someone could be some kind as to tell me what i have done to this truck.
which is a 1998 explorer xlt v6 4x4
thanks for the time!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yikes! Only thing that comes to my mind is maybe the nut that holds the wheel on the column has backed off, allowing the wheel to come off the splined part of the shaft. How are you driving it if you can't steer it?!

Welcome to the form! I would say have that thing towed to a shop right away. I would have the whole thing checked out not just the shaft.

At first I was going to say if its jumping while going straight might have air in the power steering fluid... but complete turns... sounds like its FUBAR

I can't believe your still driving it like that :rolleyes::thumbdwn:

Rag joint or broken teeth in the rack maybe? 2nd gens do have a rag joint right? I'm ashamed of myself, I spend enough time under hood I should know for sure...but I don't.

Could the OP update his profile with his location? I don't want to be on the roads anywhere near where he lives! Seriouly wouldn't drive that anywhere until you fix it. Or have it towed somewhere if you can't fix it.
Hopefully the OP does a follow up so we find out what it is.

There was an issue with certain 2nd Gen's with an Aluminum steering coupler between the dash and firewall, that would get deformed from the steel shaft entering it...I would check there first. All you have to do is stick you head under the dash, and look at the steering shaft. It is right behind the brake pedal, on the firewall.

Ryan

, i think i may have a big problem here?!!
then it started jumping positions while driving until now where at any speed i can spin the wheel all the way around numerous times.

At first I thought, "definitely a troll" but OP hasn't made a second post.
:confused::confused:

notsure.jpg

Maybe he did crash finally...

I can't belive people have so little common sense and responsability.

Good Grief Gurty!!!!!! Don't drive it....fix it!!

sorry there guys... and yes is was driving it.... and how very carefully.. but no more.
thanks for the ideas of where to start. i won't be driving her very far until i have finished fixing it. have not dug into it yet, i have been at work since the original post.

Well, that is reassuring, you're not driving it very far!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS????

STOP DRIVING THE DAMN THING. STAY OFF THE ROAD UNTIL IT IS FIXED.

You really don't understand the severity of the issue, do you?

YOU CAN KILL SOMEONE, and it PROBABLY WON'T BE YOU!

Ryan

Incredible.

I don't see what's wrong with the steering wheel spinning? Isn't it supposed to? Oh, the wheels were supposed to follow?

flashback to one time where he forgot to bolt the steering wheel column properly on in a Toyota Dyna HiAce

The customer liked how the steering wheel wasn't shaky on bumpy terrain anymore...

sorry there guys... and yes is was driving it.... i won't be driving her very far until i have finished fixing it.

Nice try... I'll give you a pat on the back

nice-slap-mark.jpg

The more you drive it the more chances you are taking. I would EXTREMELY recommend that you do not drive the truck anymore and ask someone else for a ride. Its unnecessary to risk your life and anyone else on the road trying to get to work. Hopefully you understand the severity of the situation you have going on right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back