Whining high pitch sound when accelerating at lowers speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whining high pitch sound when accelerating at lowers speeds

Jones Dias

Reaction score
City, State
West Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Sport
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer with 56K miles. After a few minutes driving and when accelerating at lower speeds, the car is making a high pitched sound/noise that seems to be related to the speed of the car as the noise starts to disappear as the speed reaches 40 mph. I think that the sounds is coming from the wheels, but not sure. I don't think there is nothing to do with the brakes because the sound disappear when I use them. I took it to the dealership I purchased the car and they said they found nothing that would compromise the vehicle safety and that couldn't hear any noise.Does anyone in this forum would have an indication of what the issue is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Jones.:wave:
Only thing that comes to mind at the moment is possibly the belt or alternator.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jones.:wave:
Only thing that comes to mind at the moment is possibly the belt or alternator.

Peter
Thanks Peter,

The noise is not present when the car is idle. I would think if it were the belt, it would make the noise while idle, but not sure.

Thanks for the reply!

Without hearing it, it's hard to say, but my first thought is transmission. I've heard a noise, almost like something winding up, and I think that's what it was from. It was harmless.

Rear brake calipers stuck, causing the brake pads to constantly rub lightly against the rear rotors and emit a noise?

High-pitch noise goes away when you step on the brake pedal and the rear brake pads make higher-pressure contact with the rear rotors. I believe sticky rear calipers is a known issue with some Explorers.

""I don't think there is nothing to do with the brakes because the sound disappear when I use them.""
@Jones Dias, my opinion: that the sound disappears when you use the brake: no 1 see @Exit32, no 2 front or rear wheel bearing or no 3 (have had it with several Ford ATs) a sound from the AT and almost harmless...

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer with 56K miles. After a few minutes driving and when accelerating at lower speeds, the car is making a high pitched sound/noise that seems to be related to the speed of the car as the noise starts to disappear as the speed reaches 40 mph. I think that the sounds is coming from the wheels, but not sure. I don't think there is nothing to do with the brakes because the sound disappear when I use them. I took it to the dealership I purchased the car and they said they found nothing that would compromise the vehicle safety and that couldn't hear any noise.Does anyone in this forum would have an indication of what the issue is?
I'm getting something similar started a couple of days ago. deems to coming from under the center console or to the right maybe. And got a tire pressure alert light when it started but no issue with tire pressure. Nothing at very low speed (say 1st gear) but then it will start (sound almost breaking up at times) and seems to reach a frequency between 1400 and 1500 Hz getting increasingly louder then may stop and start again. Same thing when you decelerate, whining frequency and intensity reduces as you slow down. Not there at all when you rev the engine and it doesn't matter if you are in auto or manual transmission mode. Haven't tried it any speed above 50Km and have only taken two very short runs of about 3-4 minutes each since it started.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The Tire Pressure Monitor Module (TPM) is located to the rear under the center console.

Peter

There is a common whine on these gen explorers that comes from the air compressors. If the air is on and you accelerate, you will hear the sound. If you have the auto function on with the climate control, it usually has the compressor running for removal of humidity. Try turning the climate control panel to off and see if you still hear it. The sound is harmless and I’ve seen the compressors outlast the vehicles while having this whine.

There is a common whine on these gen explorers that comes from the air compressors. If the air is on and you accelerate, you will hear the sound. If you have the auto function on with the climate control, it usually has the compressor running for removal of humidity. Try turning the climate control panel to off and see if you still hear it. The sound is harmless and I’ve seen the compressors outlast the vehicles while having this whine.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have never heard any such sound with the A/C ON from any of my vehicles.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have never heard any such sound with the A/C ON from any of my vehicles.

Peter
I’ve had 3 explorers and only 1, my 17 had it. Not all do, but when it’s there, it’s not a big deal.

Back