• Register Today It's free!

Whining noise continues

andrewlcarson

Reaction score
City, State
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
On my 1995 explorer I have a whining noise coming from the rear. I have read around seeing that people have had trouble with their rear differentials. I decided to change my rear differential oil with more thicker oil. 85w-140 to be exact. It made no difference what so ever. Anyone have any idea what I could do now? The sound is beyond annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put up with it or change the ring and pinion gears, i think the problem is ford cut the gears kinda weird that causes the whine or so I've been told.....

If the backlash isn't right it can whine.

Anyone have an idea about the price it would cost to get the ring and pinion changed?

Depends on the shop, you'll have to call around.

Confused also- you're working on your 1995, list a 1997 in your profile, and the question is posted in the 2002-2005 section... :D

you can search around and get the gears for ~$200 install would depend on shop

I have no idea why I'm in the 3rd gen explorers page. I am pretty sure this whine in the rear is the ring and pinion. If ANYONE finds a cheap solution please don't keep it a secret.

Before I did the ring and pinion, i would see where the gears are hitting. Take the cover off and clean the gears very well, then put some paint on a few of the ring gear teeth, let it dry a minute, and turn it. If the the contact mark is way off center, thats probably where the whine is, and if you just get it set right you should'nt need new anything. Thats just what I would do.

that's smart. I have read around and people say that with my case it is the ring and pinion. I accerate and get a whining noise. when I brake from 30 mph and down I get a whining down sound. would a transmission shop be able to change ring and pinion problems.

By the way I'm only 17 with a BB(burgerking) budget. I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to vehicles but a little help when y'all are describing things would help. I took off my rear differential and tried to see if there was any play in the gears and there wasn't. Would adding a fiction reducer help, I have heard people saying it would.

I wouldnt think a tranny shop would do that, but any small garage should.

Before I did the ring and pinion, i would see where the gears are hitting. Take the cover off and clean the gears very well, then put some paint on a few of the ring gear teeth, let it dry a minute, and turn it. If the the contact mark is way off center, thats probably where the whine is, and if you just get it set right you should'nt need new anything. Thats just what I would do.

So what if my gear teeth are showing that the mark is way off center? How would I adjust it?

search for this post here in the forums. It's under Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Offroad Drivelines

''So you want to install your own gears: A 'how to' 8.8 gear install''

What I have found out is that I probably have too much backlash in my pinion. Any ideas how to fix this? I have seen people talk about pinion shims but i'm dumb and have no idea how to mess with that stuff. I need to find a way to decrease my backlash in my pinion. My pinion is apparently too far away from the ring and is causing the whining sound that I hear.....very very annoying.

Noise from where?

What I have found out is that I probably have too much backlash in my pinion. Any ideas how to fix this? Backlash is set at the factory, and generally cannot change but very little, unless some part "gives", like a bearing going bad.

I have seen people talk about pinion shims but i'm dumb and have no idea how to mess with that stuff. I need to find a way to decrease my backlash in my pinion. Backlash is the "play" between the pinion gear teeth, and the mating ring gear teeth. The "play" is established by shims located between bearings and supports. IF backlash has become excessive, there is some reason for it, and simply decreasing the lash will not solve the problem, and may cause yet bigger ones! Most important is that ALL the bearings (there are 4) be sound, the GEAR TOOTH CONTACT PATTERN be acceptable, AND the surface of the gear teeth be smooth and not damaged in any way. Then there will be no gear noise.

My pinion is apparently too far away from the ring and is causing the whining sound that I hear.....very very annoying.

It would pay you to determine FOR SURE that the noise is originating in the differential (center section). Place all 4 wheels off the ground, on jackstands or blocks under the suspension. Make sure it's safe and solid, have someone run the engine up and hold about 40 mph while you "listen around" the rear wheels, and the center section. Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, placing the end of the blade on the differential housing, under the pinion area, then on each rear wheel hub.

I did this, and found the whine was coming from a bad wheel bearing, NOT the gears! imp

well considering my whining noise occurs at certain speeds when accerating but once I let off the gas it goes away. from 30 mph and down there is a whining down sound. would a bad wheel bearing have these problems?

Thank you for the advice though. I will try and do as you have told me.

well considering my whining noise occurs at certain speeds when accerating but once I let off the gas it goes away. from 30 mph and down there is a whining down sound. would a bad wheel bearing have these problems?

Generally, no. If the noise occurred ONLY while accelerating, it would indicate gear tooth noise, for sure. But, since you say does not seem to be constant, there is a chance of wheel bearing, rather than gear noise. My wheel bearing noise came and went for several thousand miles, without getting worse. My first thought was, gear noise, but glad I checked first.

Gears MUCH harder to service than wheel bearings! imp

Generally, no. If the noise occurred ONLY while accelerating, it would indicate gear tooth noise, for sure. But, since you say does not seem to be constant, there is a chance of wheel bearing, rather than gear noise. My wheel bearing noise came and went for several thousand miles, without getting worse. My first thought was, gear noise, but glad I checked first.

Gears MUCH harder to service than wheel bearings! imp

Would a gear noise sound like a whining sound? I have tried to listen to some on youtube but it is all crappy quality so I can't hear anything but random noises. My sound gets worse at some speeds than other so. I would hope its a wheel bearing wayyyyy before its a gear problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its bearing noise itll go quick if it continues for a while gears but gears is my guess
And yes gears whine or "howl" tends to go away and come with accleration/deceleration

Back