Whining noise when cold start, 2006 V-6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whining noise when cold start, 2006 V-6

nleipziger

Reaction score
City, State
Langhorne, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
Hello all, have a 2006 Exp V6 with 200,000 miles on the odo. In cold weather during a cold start there is a loud whining noise from under the front of the vehicle. I replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley because it's that type of noise it makes. Also replaced the alternator because using a scope, it appeared the noise was coming from there. The noise goes away after about 5 minutes. Now I'm suspecting possibly the transmission (front pump) might be causing the problem. Is this a possibility? Anyone run into this issue? Other than that, the SUV runs flawlessly and the engine and tranny have never needed anything. Thanks for your help....

I'm pretty sure it's just the power steering pump whining until the fluid starts to get warm. Mine does the same thing. Length of time depends on temperature in the morning. If you're really concerned, you could have the fluid checked, maybe changed. The pump COULD be on it's way out but I wouldn't worry too much about it. My pump is fairly new and it still does it.

I second that - probably the power steering. I would think that you could test that by turning the wheels right after startup and seeing if it gets any worse. Replace as much fluid as you can and see if that helps. We had a minivan that would do that - it was a known problem. Fixing it was easy - suck out the old fluid from the reservoir - remove it and back flush and clean the internal screen that was prone to getting clogged up thereby starving the rack of fluid. It wasn't so much changing the fluid as it was unclogging the screen that fixed it.

Back