Whirring fuel pump sound when driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whirring fuel pump sound when driving

comandoed

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 91
I have 1991 Explorer. I changed the fuel pump motor. (just the lil cylinder motor part). Normally I would hear whirring sound from fuel pump when I turn key on only. Now i hear it all the time when driving. I drove for 1 day and let the truck sit. I think something is wrong. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was the sound i heared before on my '92 xlt specially when the tank is full, after one week, my fuel sending unit or fuel pump is dead.. I replaced it with new one, with the help of some experts here like Brooklyn Bay. Now my fuel pump is silent.

Is it possible the fuel pump motor is ok and the sending unit is whats causing
the whirring or clicking? I listened to it again and its more of clicking sound.

If the pressure is good and the pump is working normally, then there are two real possibilities.... One is that the pump is just noisier then the one you replaced. This is especially common with the cheap replacement pumps. The other is that the pump is hitting something or mounted in a way that amplifies the noise.

What brand of pump did you use?

Dont know brand. Got it at the junkyard from a 93 explorer. Looked slightly
different than original. Does not have strainer as original. At tail end it has
like a screen.

Assuming the pump is good and that it is just knocking against something then
are you saying that it is normal for it to be engaged all the time? I just dont
know if it should turn on and off every little while or if it should constantly
be engaged.

Hmmm. Now I know. I suppose I should drop tank and insure that it is
positioned so that it does not touch against something. I dont actually
do this my, friend does it for me. I just tell him what to look for.

If you're going to drop the tank again, you might want to consider putting in a new pump rather than a junk yard pump. Loud operation is one of the signs that the pump is going bad. You can buy just the pump itself for about $70.

Thats what I'll do. Buy a new one. Should I also buy the sending unit?
Currently my fuel indicator does not work. Would a new sending unit
fix this?

Thanks for your help. All of you are a bunch of good guys.

with a sending unit doesnt cost much more. i remember looking up a price for one and it was actually cheaper then just the pump itself.

Back