Whirring noise? Transfer case or transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whirring noise? Transfer case or transmission?

davey_rocket

Reaction score
City, State
Corvallis, OR
Hi, this is my first post here so I hope someone can help me out!

2002 Ranger XLT 4x4 off-road, 4.0L V6, auto trans, about 105,000 miles.

I haven't used 4WD in about a year. I used it last Friday to get up a steep muddy road with no problems. Then on Saturday I drove about 15 miles @ 25mph on compacted snow and slush in 4WD.

Woke up on Sunday and took the ol' truck out for a spin and she's making a loud whirring sound at low speeds (5-20mph) during acceleration. It sounds like two belts rubbing together (I know that's not what it is) and goes away when I'm driving at a set speed above 30mph. Revving the engine in neutral does not produce the sound.

I checked the transfer case oil with the car running and it's low but still in the cross-hatched area on the dipstick.

Also, if I go into reverse while in 4WD and the truck is cold (i.e. sitting in the cold snowy woods for several hours) the car "sticks" until I gas it enough to "unstick" it.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

I just chunked out $1200 on new tires and shocks so another visit to the mechanic ain't really in the wallet right now.

well it could be as simple as wheel hubs which make a nasty noise but it could be anything from that to trans to allignment try takin the wheels and brakes off and try to shake the hub if it moves it might be bad or if when you spin it its grainy feeling. they will run about 150-200 each side

or come to think of it it could be your u-joint too i just replaced mine try and pinpoint were noise is coming from and repost

Back