Whistle noise here when accellerating only. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whistle noise here when accellerating only.

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
In my Sport, I here a high steady whistle sound on accelleration (mild but quite clear). It appears to be coming from the passenger side. It only started when it got real cold. It sound like a vacumn generated whislte. The side window air start coming out shortly after if whistles for a while and seems to go back like the doors are being positioned.

Anyone else notice this or heard of it. Cause?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I searched this for my wifes 03 XLT. Best I could come up with was the IAC. Once it warms up it goes away. No problems, nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this is it or not-

A/C - Underhood - Buzz or Flutter Noise
Article No.
03-5-2

03/17/03
NOISE - "BUZZ" OR "FLUTTER" NOISE FROM
INSTRUMENT PANEL/UNDERHOOD AREA DURING
COLD WEATHER, LIGHT LOAD AND THROTTLE TIP
IN-VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L SOHC ENGINE
ONLY

FORD:
2002-2003 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some vehicles equipped with a 4.0L SOHC engine may exhibit a Buzz/Flutter sound from the right side of the Instrument Panel/Underhood Engine Compartment area. This noise may be heard under cold weather conditions when the engine is under a light load or throttle tip in. The noise involves the air intake housing interfering with the A/C lines routed under the rear corner of the housing. The housing is located at the right hand forward section of the engine compartment.

^^^ Thats interesting. I never read about that before. With my wife's 03 it is definately a whistle and not a buzz or flutter sound. A very subtle whistle.

I don't know if this is it or not-

A/C - Underhood - Buzz or Flutter Noise
Article No.
03-5-2

03/17/03
NOISE - "BUZZ" OR "FLUTTER" NOISE FROM
INSTRUMENT PANEL/UNDERHOOD AREA DURING
COLD WEATHER, LIGHT LOAD AND THROTTLE TIP
IN-VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L SOHC ENGINE
ONLY

FORD:
2002-2003 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some vehicles equipped with a 4.0L SOHC engine may exhibit a Buzz/Flutter sound from the right side of the Instrument Panel/Underhood Engine Compartment area. This noise may be heard under cold weather conditions when the engine is under a light load or throttle tip in. The noise involves the air intake housing interfering with the A/C lines routed under the rear corner of the housing. The housing is located at the right hand forward section of the engine compartment.

I have definitely a whistle coming from the inside. Dies off when you release the gas and comes back up whistling when accellerating. I am not 100% certain yet but may be aggrevated by changing the heat deflector from dual up/down to feet or back. It was not doing it when it was cool though.

OK how bout this?

A/C - Whistle Noise From Blend Door Area
Article No.
03-7-4

04/14/03
^ CLIMATE CONTROL - WHISTLE NOISE FROM
BLEND DOOR SHAFT AREA - VEHICLES EQUIPPED
WITH MANUAL CLIMATE CONTROL PRODUCED
BEFORE 8/29/2002 ONLY

^ NOISE - WHISTLE NOISE FROM BLEND DOOR
SHAFT AREA - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH
MANUAL CLIMATE CONTROL PRODUCED BEFORE
8/29/2002 ONLY

FORD:
2002 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some 2002 4 door Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles built prior to 8/29/2002 equipped with manual climate control may exhibit a whistle noise coming from inside the heater case. This may be caused by a gap between the actuator and the heater case which in turn allows air to escape past the blend door shaft when it is in certain positions. The noise may get louder when moving the temperature selection dial from hot to cold or vice versa.

ACTION
To verify that the whistle noise is related to the Blend Door Actuator, cycle the vehicle's temperature control dial back and forth from full hot to full cold and cycle the blower speed fan from low to high several times. At the same time listen for noises around the actuator assembly. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Sound very much like that is the nail on the head. But what was their fix, if any?

With my V8 I have gotten the whistle sound before on a long trip when it was about -5F out dead of winter, doing about 70mph with cruise, it did it once or twice always below freezing. I was able to change the pitch and make it going away by changing the engine speed or by canceling cruise. I thought there was a TSB about Throttle Body gasket.

I have the whistle too. I believe it is the air intake....only happens when very cold temps outside and motor is cold....not worried about it!

I have the whistle as well, seems to only do it when it's very cold.

i have the same whistle noise but its not the cold weather for me, as i live in San Diego and cold for me is 60 degrees! and it still happens in 75+ degree weather, i found this though, maaaaybe it could be a possibility???

http://www.explorer4x4.com/iac.htm

When I saw this thread I thought it was one I had started a year or two back.
\
Our '04 XLT has had this whistle for about three years now and it was only noticeable around or below zero degrees and was only audible from just below to just above 2,000 RPM. I searched everywhere under the hood and couldn't find anything and couldn't duplicate the whistle while standing still. Figured it just has to be an air or vacuum issue.

We went for a drive a couple days ago and weather was in the 30's to low 40's but it was whistling again. First time for that.

Still chasing that varmit!

in '04 for sure its a throttle by wire system, IAC is not used in that setup or so I thought.
Don't know if the '03 got the fly by wire system, no cable to the TB.
high speed air is passing over around something. . I'm thinking its the throttle plate . . .

Thought I was crazy

Until I saw this thread. I have the same whistle as well. Now it does seem to happen when its cold but in my case the outside temp is 10 degs, but I have been driving for 30 minutes or so.

I WILL BE SPEEDING UP TO 60 mph and it starts and let off the gas and it quits. I thought it was a vacuum haose as well but who knows.

It really drives me nutz

Only on Accelleration Here as well!

Until I saw this thread. I have the same whistle as well. Now it does seem to happen when its cold but in my case the outside temp is 10 degs, but I have been driving for 30 minutes or so.

I WILL BE SPEEDING UP TO 60 mph and it starts and let off the gas and it quits. I thought it was a vacuum haose as well but who knows.

It really drives me nutz

Same here when speeding up and stops when I let off the trottle. I cannot see the connection earlier with the blend door gap issue unless it move more when engine vacumn rises and the vacumn is actually causing the whistle. That is what I orginally though being a vacumn leak and notice the little window vents pointing to the mirror increase flow shortly after the whistle begins.

So, tonight on the way home....10 degs out and about 20 minutes into the drive home. Slick roads so traffic is moving slow, at 40 and increasing to 45/50 the dreaded whistle...so I cycle the temp control back and forth and then the same for the blower and then the out put (Floor, defrost etc). I have to admit that I cant tell if it was me slowing down because of farting around with the controls and not paying attention to driving or not..

But the whislte never came back!! this trip.

Coinsidence?

Whistle

Just to chime in:salute:, I've got the whistle as well. It's been happening for the last two years, whenever it's cold out; I'd say below freezing. I've got a 2003 Mountaineer with auto climate. The first time it happened, I looked around to see if there were any graveyards;), but that was not the case. I just tell passengers it's a built in safety feature that notifies me that road conditions might be icy.

I have the whistle also, Just when it is very cold out, and im feathering the throttle. once i kick it up a bit it goes away.
Also it dosnt happen when the engine is warmed up. Only when its cold.

Also it didnt happen when i had my old air filter in it. (it was very very dirty)
So im guessing its somin to do w. the air intake.

Im not too worried about it.

2003 Explorer XLT

I have the same issue. I cannot find where it is coming from. I bought it a year and a half ago and it had 23K miles. Now it's close to 36K. Thw whistling noise is worse. I went to NY City last night and going and coming it drive me nuts. Very loud. Especially up hill. Works off the accelerator.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue. I cannot find where it is coming from. I bought it a year and a half ago and it had 23K miles. Now it's close to 36K. Thw whistling noise is worse. I went to NY City last night and going and coming it drive me nuts. Very loud. Especially up hill. Works off the accelerator.

Any ideas?
Well I just drove my son to work in his Sport. He is going out to a pub with teh guys and going to have a few... It does it when accelerating even slightly and back off as soon as you're off the pedal. Has to be vacumn related and comes from the passenger side. Can't check when drive or look under the dash but I am wondering if it has anything to do with the heater vacumn control lines leaking when cold. I am not certain where they are on this vehicle. I might give then a shove when its warmed up inside and see if they are seated or loose. I would not tinker with them lines until it is good and warm under the dash. Some vacumn lines I have seen used are very thin and narrow plastic, not rubber and can break easy and none of us need that problem as well.

Back