• Register Today It's free!

whistle sound

BOSS429

Reaction score
City, State
carol stream il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4x2
only when its cold out and under light acceleration you can here a whistle sound, sounds like its coming from dash area when you let off pedal sound goes away,:confused: any clue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know the answer. That damn whistle drives me nuts.

The whistles go WOOOOOOOO

...couldn't help it

I'm fairly certain this whistle is coming from the intake tube into the air filter box. The inlet is tube is behind the passenger side headlight. I think the whistle is just the rush of air on startup. My whistle always goes away once the engine warms a bit and the idle settles down.

TsaktuO

I have a similar whistle in my '03 I've had since day one and it's only in the dead of summer here in Phoenix.

It's not the intake. I have a KKM. The whistle is inside the cab. Like BOSS said, it's only during light acceleration.

Can anyone think of anything inside the cab that is affected by engine rpm?

TsaktuO

Got anything that you guys can record audio with? post it up here...

Got anything that you guys can record audio with? post it up here...

I could if anyone really needs me to. To be honest, I'm 100% not concerned with it, since mine is intermittent and, when present, goes away quickly. I just posted to offer a suggestion and become part of the "whistle havin' gang". I think my whistle is probably different than the CAI whistle that I've read can be constant at certain RPM's (not just at cold startup), and I have no idea if BOSS's situation is one of these or neither.

I don't have the answer but I could sure use a whistle like that up here in ct. to keep the damn deer from jumping in front of my rig. lol

LOL! My situation would only work if they jumped out at you in the parking lot. After that mine goes away:D

mine does that too, i think its just the intake mine does it alot if u really listen

i think i know the 'whistle' that the original poster is concerned about, i think it is part of the climate control system, i had a similar whistle when my 05' was brand new, but now, since the tires are older, and the body rattles a bit more, i dont ever hear it.

there IS a 2nd whistle and it is part of the intake system, i dont exactly know where, but this whistle is on part throttle, has nothing to do with the air box, because ive removed varios pieces from the airbox, and still has the same whistle, maybe its part of the TB with on if its many vaccume inlets

I second the climate control. It sounds like its comming from behind the vents. Its not too much of a big deal, but I'm one of those people who hears a mosquito buzzing in the back of my Ex.

yeah, behind the vents or even under the dash or behind the left wheel. it's intermittent so it's hard to have a mechanic hear it, and it's brief so it's hard to pin-point the location. sounds like a high-pitched kazoo, or the humm of a juvenile mosquito amplified (with the distortion/sustain on a "8" setting), but it's not very loud.

by leaving it be, will it damage something? i'd just like to know what it is before my extended warranty runs out.

:mad: I have the same damn thing...been driving me crazy...was ready to have my wife drive while have my head under passenger side. This is a recent accurrance and happens whenever it feels like. With the truck warmed up or cold, it seems to happen. Maybe I will take my hood off and have my wife drive around the block while i lay in the enging bay with my head towards the firewall...:D maybe not.

I know its not my intake. I have a K&N in my airbox, and it is swiss cheesed with the funnel taken out.

I have the kazoo sound as well. It comes from the passenger side and only happens when it is very windy outside and the wind is blowing from the driver's side over the truck to the passenger side. (No...I'm not crazy...my sons have all heard it and commented on it)

I have the kazoo sound as well. It comes from the passenger side and only happens when it is very windy outside and the wind is blowing

I have noticed the same noise only with high winds on the freeway. Mine sounds like it is under the dash behind the radio. At first I thought it was coming from the passengers window or door but if I lean over towards the center It sounds more like its coming from under the middle of the dash by the front windsheild. Its a leak of some sort. Sounds like a bad seal maybe around the window or where the cabin air enters behind the hood.

-Mark

I too have this problem! The dealership thinks I'm nuts, and sees $$$$$ signs when I tell them. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from either. Usually I'm by myself, and can't take my eyes off the road to investigate. But honestly, it happens mainly when it's really cold. And even odder, it's when I hit about 62mph! If I slow down and hold speed at like 55, it stops. Very odd.

j

I too have this problem. Just bought an 03 yesterday. Didn't hear it on the test drive, but on the way home it started. Seemed to be only on the highway when wind was just right. Also when passing a semi on the highway.

Emailed the old owner to ask if he knew about it. He said yes and it had been into the dealer to find the noise. Dealer told him it was common with these trucks. He claimed it was poor engineering for the windshield wipers. Air is whistling around the wiper arms. Sounds reasonable. but I really thought the noise was coming from inside.

Anyone buying the wiper arm theory?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get it at around town speeds (15-35mph) and not consistently. haven't heard it for a while now.
Bet I just jinxed myself:dunno:

Back