Whistling sound when applying or releasing light throttle, coming from engine bay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whistling sound when applying or releasing light throttle, coming from engine bay

nightsurge

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT 4WD
I have a 2017 XLT 4WD v6 with 34k miles. Since I bought it, I've noticed a faint, but audible/noticeable whistle sound when applying light throttle while cruising, and when releasing that light throttle. It sounds like it is coming from the driver side, engine bay. My best guess would be that it is coming from the air intake somewhere, but when I try it while idling I don't hear the sound. Only while driving at cruising speeds and making minor adjustments. Sometimes the whistle is a bit longer/more noticeable on the deceleration after letting go of the throttle, but once the car normalizes speeds again, it instantly disappears. Hard acceleration also does not make the sound.

Any ideas? I just bought it a few weeks ago, did not notice it on the test drive, but with mild talking/music it is easy to miss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you are still under warranty, for now, why not have the dealer check it out?

Peter

Check your vacuum hoses.

I have a 2017 XLT 4WD v6 with 34k miles. Since I bought it, I've noticed a faint, but audible/noticeable whistle sound when applying light throttle while cruising, and when releasing that light throttle. It sounds like it is coming from the driver side, engine bay. My best guess would be that it is coming from the air intake somewhere, but when I try it while idling I don't hear the sound. Only while driving at cruising speeds and making minor adjustments. Sometimes the whistle is a bit longer/more noticeable on the deceleration after letting go of the throttle, but once the car normalizes speeds again, it instantly disappears. Hard acceleration also does not make the sound.

Any ideas? I just bought it a few weeks ago, did not notice it on the test drive, but with mild talking/music it is easy to miss.
Did you find an answer? I hear a whistle too and figured it might be turbo related but not at 30 mph. I hate chasing vacuum hoses. This baby took a huge doe at 70 mpg which smashed up to the front of the engine-14k repair-never touched a fender. They were having trouble figuring out the tubes for the turbos-guess thay had a great Ford service diagram as well.

I am going to pass on some thing I read years ago about an easy way to find a vacuum leak. Get a propane tank you use to solder with. Remove the tip where the flame comes out. If you have enough room for the tank to get close to the vacuum hoses put the end where the flame nozzle went and move along each vacuum line with the engine idling (turn on the propane tank) ;) When you hear the engine speed up you found a leak. keep checking, you might have more then one leak.

I am going to pass on some thing I read years ago about an easy way to find a vacuum leak. Get a propane tank you use to solder with. Remove the tip where the flame comes out. If you have enough room for the tank to get close to the vacuum hoses put the end where the flame nozzle went and move along each vacuum line with the engine idling (turn on the propane tank) ;) When you hear the engine speed up you found a leak. keep checking, you might have more then one leak.
I think one might "pass on" if the propane gets close to exhaust manifold or especially the cat.-that thing can get red hot :)

I don't think I heard the whistle until they did the AC mod for carbon monoxide. It may have been before but I just noticed it afterward

Back