White letters In or Out? does it matter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White letters In or Out? does it matter

Is it just a personal preference?
The tire guy at the shop tells me its better to put the tires on with the white letters not showing because if you have a tendancy to hit the curb when parrallel parking (as my wife does) the sidewall will wear down quicker on the white letter side?

Is this true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no it isnt true.....
but it will schred the white and look crappy.... either way is fine..it is an opinion... white out is the way the tread was designed but most treads are fine when run backwards.....

On the outside

Dead Link Removed

joe, would that be white inside or outside?

i like the look of the solid blackwall out. it looks really nice when clean, and you put that tire shine on it. it also looks cool with the colored tire shine stuff. my daytona has green.

Dead Link Removed

I happen to like the white letters out, but that's how I've always put mine. I think I even had a few comments after I put my lift and tires on about how it looked different because of the raised letters out. I have scuffed the sidewalls on occasion and after a good cleaning the letters look as good as new.

i like the white letters out. i have 265 70 r16's on my truck and theres way too much sidewall to not have the white letters out - it looks goofy. i had a thread from over the summer about how much i hated my new tires, heh.

I like all black. When the white is out it looks like you are trying to advertise your tires.

Originally posted by jimabena74
joe, would that be white inside or outside?

oops,I like the letters on the outside
Dead Link Removed

Hey, if the wife has a tendency to use the curb to tell her when she has parked close enough to the curb, then have her drive up on the curb and come back down. It keeps the side walls from getting damaged then you can put the white letters out, as that looks better, IMHO.

The drive up on the curb tactic works well. It has saved me from having to look at crappy sidewalls and from having to park to far away from the side of the road.

Dave

I like white. If you're worried about scuffing them up try using a SOS pad when they get dirty. I works wonders.

Originally posted by jimabena74
white out is the way the tread was designed but most treads are fine when run backwards.....

uhhh, would that be white out on the LEFT side, or the RIGHT?

if a tread design is truly directional, the sidewalls will BOTH be either black, or white letters and have an arrow with "direction of rotation" on the sidewall.

tire direction

Most tires are NOT uni-directional, so it doesn't matter which way you run your tires (mine are currently whilte out). I've only seen a couple of uni-directional tires on of which is the Goodyear Wrangler MT, but I think they phased it out whith the MT/R which im not sure about. Any tire that I've seen that is uni-directional only have black sidewalls anyway.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in (for whatever that's worth). :)

~Andy

My BFG Long Trails are not uni-directional, but they do have an asymmetrical tread design, with the pattern on the inner portion of the tread different from the outer portion. Mine are outline while letters, and the tire is marked "Mount This Side Out" on the letter side.

i have Eagle Aquatread tires on my Daytona. they have arrows on them to show the direction, and both sides are blackwalls.

I like the whitewalls on white vehicles but on any other colour I prefer blackwalls.

I have seen people mount the BFG Long trails with the white leters facing in, but it clearly says to mount with white letters out so if you have those tires, you don't really have a choice.

I actually like the white lettering, but the rocks really tear them up and they look bad after awhile, which is why I run the blackwall on the outside. It's too hard to keep them looking nice when you tear them up on the trail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

White letters out now, but I'm thinking about it as I get my '31s this weekend... I had a poll running on this earlier but must have missed setting the expiry on it and it's gone I think, so thanks for restarting the poll/thread.
I'm still very curious as to the votes on this. I believe it was about 50/50, maybe 55/45 for the lettering outside.
I feel they look good outside, and as someone said in my results, "If I like the manuf/product, I don't mind having their name showing".
Yeah, it's a lil to clean, and fortunately there isn't muc h curb parking around here for when my wife takes it (though she parks well), and I usually drive my X, so my letters should remain pretty crisp.
:D

Back