White Smoke/Blown Gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SupremeSlacker27

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
So I am currently looking at a very bad (potentially good) situation with my father's 2002 Explorer Limited. Awhile ago he replaced his engine due to the notorious timing chain problem. His plan was to replace it and sell it in the summer. However recently he ran into troubles again! At this point he just wants it out of his sight and would prefer that it is not junked if possible 'cause who wants to see their 8 year old car junked?

2 hours into his 13 (or so) hour trip to his new home in AK he noticed white smoke and a sputtering engine. He was told there is a good chance it is a blown gasket (head gasket I am assuming). I don't know so much about cars but I can usually hold my own when needed, he however can accomplish about a oil change and that is all he ever cared to learn. So going from what I know and what he told me I am assuming the head gasket is bad and possibly the engine (only cause he leaded off saying it needs a new engine because he didn't want to have it diagnosed because that involved tearing it apart).

Now the question is: Is it worth me buying off him for $350-500 ($350 is, as I understood, what he was offered by the shop he took it to)?

Remember: I need to travel 2 hours. I need to be able to pay for a reasonable amount for the parts. I need to be able to fix this with probably nothing more than basic tools I can bring down there. And finally, it needs to be worth enough that I can sell it for a profit.

I appreciate the advice and help!

Well, in order to do the head gaskets the timing chains need to come off. In order to do the timing chains on the passenger side the engine needs to come out. soooooo. is it worth it to you? It is doable, but a lot of work. Also the heads should be checked for warpage and cracks.

What is the value of the truck to you? I have a 00XLT that is worth more to me than the book value. Can you get it back to your home? Can you do the work at home? All the info you need to do the job can be found on this website. The best prices for parts can be had through supporting venders. You will need about $ 1,500 in parts and machine shop work. You will need a 2ton engine crane, engine stand, and 4.0L sohc valve timing set. THE WILL TO LEARN.

Back