White smoke from tail pipe, missing, and hard to start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White smoke from tail pipe, missing, and hard to start.

johnsonjoe232

Reaction score
City, State
Lucedale, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I am having trouble diagnosing a problem. My 05 with the 4.0 has a miss, is hard to start, and has white smoke from tailpipe that smells like fuel. I have replaced the mass air flow sensor, throttle body, fuel filter, cam position sensor, plugs, plug wires, and coil pack. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure the white smoke isn't water vapor? It sure sounds like a head gasket to me. If it is unburnt fuel, then it could be a spark issue. Pull the codes and find out which cylinder is miss firing and then check the plug and wire for that cylinder. Might be an issue with a coil pack. Could also be a bad fuel injector.

Good luck!
Jake

I was
Are you sure the white smoke isn't water vapor? It sure sounds like a head gasket to me. If it is unburnt fuel, then it could be a spark issue. Pull the codes and find out which cylinder is miss firing and then check the plug and wire for that cylinder. Might be an issue with a coil pack. Could also be a bad fuel injector.

Good luck!
Jake

Good luck!
Jake
I was thinking injector or a stuck intake valve. I thought pressure regulator but was told it would be black smoke. Coil pack, plugs, and plugwires are all new. I am going to try injectors. Thanks.

Good luck!
Jake
It isn't showing any codes. Scan tool says no issues detected.

It isn't showing any codes. Scan tool says no issues detected.

Might be worth doing a compression test before you spend much more on electrical components. If all cylinders come back good, that would at least rule out a valve issue.

Jake

Back