Who has a 347 in their X? Advice please... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has a 347 in their X? Advice please...

DocVijay

Meow
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
To those of you who have built a 347 for your Explorers, do you have any adice or tips. I'm doing the reseatch right now and choosing the parts to use for my build and swap. This for a 99 Sport. Any tips or pitfalls to look out for would be great.

Here is a list of what I'm planning to use so far. Let me know what you think or any changes you would make.

302 from a 99 Explorer
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Aluminum Heads
Trick Flow Forged Crank 3.40” stroke, 5.400” rod
Trick Flow Pistons 347 stroker (302) 10:1
Ford Racing E-303 Camshaft
Ford Racing Roller Rockers stud mount
Eagle ESP H-Beam Rods 5.400”
Powerdyne Supercharger ’99 V8
Ford Racing 30# Fuel Injectors
BBK 75mm Throttle Body 5.0
Pro M 80mm Mass Air Sensor
Superchip w/ custom burn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call (305)-661-7405, this is the number for Accelerated Race Technology, INC. This is the shop down here in Miami that built the "Troll". They will help you with anything you need or want to know. Bill's 347 was custom built by Ronnie Crawford, expensive, but he is the man when it comes to custom crate engines on Fords.

Overall, that setup sounds pretty decent to me and I know for a fact those parts will work together well and put out nice numbers, those trick flow heads flow pretty damn good on 5.0's.

So.....you and I might be in the Gumball next year, hopefully;) , if my moms friend's Ruf Turbo doesn't get chosen, I'll be more then happy to come along with you, you get arrested and I get to drive that secret beast of yours, deal;) We'll represent the "Explorer Forum", hopefully.

Yeah, I've thought about calling them. We have relatives down in Miami anyway. If we end up back in Tampa (find out end of June), I'll definitely get them to help. Some of the parts I listed are from them anyway, so regardless I will deal with them. I'll probably end up getting a built tranny from them after I grenade the stocker from the swap.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
...and I get to drive that secret beast of yours...

I don't think it'll be very secret after I get done. Once it starts up it'll be obvious it's a bit "different."

I also thought about using an F-350 with all the Banks gear and propane. I may have it by the next Gumball. 700 hp and 1000 lb. ft. isn't too bad!

Ruf Turbo
WAY off topic but, what a great **** Name!!:D

Okay, back to the serious discussion of creating one bada$$ Sport!! Good Luck Doc!!

if you're going blown and stroked dont even bother with the E-cam. there are much better choices out there. remember, a cam will become "smaller" as displacement goes up. an E-cam is rather small in a 302... it would be like a stocker in a 347. if you are positive you're gonna run boost, go with a blower specific cam. there are tons of these on the market in various grinds. if you want good low end/mid range and have some upper too, then go with a good dual pattern boost/nitrous cam.

Thanks James. I wasn't sure about the cam. Any particular suggestions? I am going to run a SC (and an occasional touch of nitrous).

Is it me or is 10:1 compression a bit high for a blown motor? I'm also thinking of a 347/t-5 combo for my white truck, so might as well subscribe to the thread.

good catch, Matt. i missed that one.

you DO NOT want 10:1 compression on a boost motor. 9:1 will be ok up to about 7-8psi on pump gas. 8.5:1 to 8.8:1 would be best.

Yes, actually that I had. I just typed in the wrong compression. In the Summit catalog, they have both the 10:1 and the 8.5:1. I just typed in the wrong part number and then cut and pasted. The ones I'm thinking of getting are the 8.5:1 compression pistons. That should be a bit better. Thanks for catching that.

i was about to say....that e-cam is goo for stock explorers that want a little extra, if your going for bigger displacement, than cam will be a little whimpy thing....i love the sound of a huge cam....nothing beats it...

Thinking about a kit for $650 from a friend....put his 302 in his coupe to an 11.9 on motor....i'm seriously thinking about it...

either that, or put some twisted wedge heads, and an X-cam on it....sounds mean as FAWK....if only i could get some longtubes made

wait you converted to 4wd for a pavement queen?

anyway i suggest that you get a cutting torch and cut a little off the front of the X to allow more airflow into the new radiator your going to get.

you gonna try and do what goblin did to his X? think you might be able to run low 10's?

If you meant Troll, not Goblin, then LMAO. Good times right here :D

Originally posted by huskyfan23
If you meant Troll, not Goblin, then LMAO. Good times right here :D

ROFL riighhtt... *shuts up now*

the list at the top is a little miss matched and would not work out well. with such a setup you need every thing to be match since u are starting out from the beging. another thing how radical are u and how fast do u want to go along with what is your buget. i am a firm beliver in that every combo is difrent depending on these factors along. i give quotes and ideas for just about any thing but i need to know a little more so i can help you on your path. your idea is sound and is a good place to start but now you need to figure out the answers to what i asked earlyer in my post.

Originally posted by blk mk8
the list at the top is a little miss matched and would not work out well. with such a setup you need every thing to be match since u are starting out from the beging. another thing how radical are u and how fast do u want to go along with what is your buget. i am a firm beliver in that every combo is difrent depending on these factors along. i give quotes and ideas for just about any thing but i need to know a little more so i can help you on your path. your idea is sound and is a good place to start but now you need to figure out the answers to what i asked earlyer in my post.

Well I was hoping you'd read this post, as you know a thing or two about this. I'm going to be coming back down to Miami in August, and would really like to stop by your shop then to talk about this stuff.

This will be my first engine build, and is really a learning experience for me. Of course, I'd rather not make mistakes with wrong parts, which is why I posted this thread. I know which parts are good individually, but I really don't know how things are going to work together. I do know that you can't just throw together the most expensive parts and expect it to work great. That's what I'm trying to learn.

Anyhow, this is the research stage, so I still have time. As I said, in August I'll be in Miami. I'd also love to see Troll. :D

Hey Docvijay,

Put it in a Mustang....It'll be much faster and way cheaper!...Just kidding.

I've got the only other 347 on this board that I know of.
First of all 10:1 plus boost = blown engine. I have a chunck taken out of my #1 piston that I can show you. I went with a similar set up.

FMS 347
FMS E303...swapped to a TFS Stage II cam for more thump!
TFS Street Heat Alm heads 2.02/1.6
FMS 1.6 RR
FMS headers
TFS Track Heat "R" intake
80mm MAS
Bosch 42lb injectors
Powerdyne Huffer BD-11a w 3"(4psi),2.7"(6psi)2.5"(7-8psi) and new 2.1"(10+psi untested)

Hindsight being 20/20 I would no doubt do a few things differently.
1) upon removing the popped piston the side showed some "side loading" abrasions, I would go 331. My engine has around 10K on it and only Mobil1 full syn

2) FORGED PISTONS Hypertunnetics can't take the heat. I would deffinately go the extra mile there.

3) Ask yourself...How will you drive it? It's a blast to drive but I really don't think a centrifical is right for me. Make no mistake about it my truck is fast, but I think a custom set up with a Kenne Bell would be more fun on the street and it would not cost that much extra to fab the parts. Mine really starts to come alive around 4K.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

P.S My truck has put down 339RWHP and over 410ft/lbs of tq to the ground. That was with the smaller Ecam, Track heat intake and pushin' about 8psi on the charger. I hope to squeeze out another 30/40 hp with a new tune and some more boost. Also the Powerdyne I have is limited to 900cfm and some where around 13psi of boost on a 302. Dom

Originally posted by X-Box
First of all 10:1 plus boost = blown engine. I have a chunck taken out of my #1 piston that I can show you. I went with a similar set up.

Yeah I know, that was a typo. I'm going to use 8.5:1 pistons.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to use all the advice I get and hopefully build a half decent engine that will last more than 20 minutes! :p

Anyway, this is all going to be for fun. I figure I might as well jump into the deep end head first. :D

Originally posted by DocVijay
10:1
Ford Racing E-303 Camshaft
pat.gif
James and I must have been asleep when we read that, I didn't even see/pay attention to the compression or cam, Kabloom said the 347 lol.

The TFS cams are nice for torque, as X-Box pry found out. I know he noticed a much better gain over the e303 cam after the swap from what he said. I think James T still has an aggressive dual-pattern Comp Cam ground for a blower/nitrous still sitting around waiting to be sold, doing him no good good, right James;)

X-box or Blk Mk8, whoever reads this first scince neither of you are on this board a lot lol. Are you going to be installing the 2.2 liter Blowzilla charger? Man, w/ that setup that will be pushing some awsome power. You'll have a sick torque band. Hopefully, I'll be going w/ my plans in my sig sometime this summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope Blk Mk8 and I can work something out with the Flowzilla. Todd stated in another post that there will be some firewall clearence issues and something about cables/hood shock. I'm trying to work out a deal for one through West Coast Superchargers, that's who gave me a good deal on my Powerdyne.

If it looks possible there will be a PD SC kit going up for sale along with a couple of sweet TFS intakes....I'll keep you guys posted. Dom

Also, the truck feels much faster with the new cam and intake but I haven't taken it to the track yet. It also feels fast because I haven't driven it in a month and was crusin' around in a 92 Toyota corolla!
Dom

Back