Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Im not talking when going bombing through the water and water gets sucked in the intake. I am talking when you did one of these :roll: With my old 2.9 I flopped it on its side (driverside everytime) I think 6 times and never had the motor hydro. One time it was on its side for probably close to an hour. I beleive when I was riding with DB1 and we rolled at truckhaven his motor didnt hydro as well. I dont think T davis did eather when he put his navajo on its lid at Los coyotes for an hour.

Just wondering who has actually hydro locked a 4.0 series motor due to oil and rolling the truck. I know some motors are more prone to it then others so just wondering how prone the 4.0 is.

:raises hand:

Flipped on the side for about an hour, went to crank once on all 4 again and notta. Pulled the plugs on the drivers bank, and sprayed my buddy with alot of oil as the 4.0 started LMAO. Cleaned the plugs and reinstalled them, smoked like a POS of about 20 minutes as we headed out from the trails back to main road. It's been fine ever since.

All the time the Navajo was on it side, I always waited for the oil to drain back down into the engine before trying to start it.. Never had a problem.

Back